Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Recovery Readings (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Prayer & Some Thoughts - December (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29337)

bluidkiti 12-01-2022 03:02 AM

A Prayer & Some Thoughts - December

December 1

Prayer To Live Well Today

Lord,
Your Word tells me not to worry about my life or the things of tomorrow. Forgive me for my lack of confidence in Your daily guidance and Your ability to work everything into something good.

Please help me to deal with those things I can, and make changes where necessary. Help me to leave those things I cannot change in Your care.

I choose to seek first your will, as I live one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When I came into A.A., was I a desperate person?

Did I have a soul-sickness? Was I so sick of myself and my way of living that I couldn't stand looking at myself in a mirror? Was I ready for A.A.? Was I ready to try anything that would help me to get sober and to get over my soul-sickness?

So ............

Should I ever forget the condition I was in?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Powerless

In Step One, we accept our powerlessness over alcohol. But we are powerless over many parts of life. We are powerless over other people. We are powerless over what our HP has planned for us. Before recovery, we only believed in control. We tried to control everything. We fought against a basic truth, the truth that we are powerless over much of life. When we accept this truth, we begin to see what power we do have. We have the power to make choices. When we're lonely, we have the power to reach out to others. We have power over how we live our own lives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inventory

When evening comes, perhaps before going to sleep, many of us draw up a balance sheet for the day.
This is a good place to remember that inventory-taking is not always done in red ink.
It's a poor day indeed when we haven't done something right.
As a matter of fact, the waking hours are usually well filled with things that are constructive.
Even when we have tried hard and failed, we may chalk that up as one of the greatest credits of all.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 93

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Thinking is difficult, that’s why most people judge." ~ Carl Jung

bluidkiti 12-02-2022 06:15 AM

December 2

Prayer For New Perspective

Lord, some days my world seems to be spinning out of control. Everywhere I look, I see chaos—even in my own life. There are days where I long to just "throw in the towel."

Lord, give me a new perspective and blow away the cobwebs that keep cluttering my mind and my vision. Every time I'm tempted to become discouraged or depressed because of negative events or situations, help me to gain that new perspective.

With your perspective, I can push past the impossible and find the strength and courage to believe that no matter what happens, your hope will lift me to a higher plane—where joy and purpose reign again.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When we were drinking most of us were full of pride and selfishness.

We believed we could handle our own affairs, even though we were making a mess of our lives. We were very stubborn and didn't like to take advice. We resented being told what to do. To us, humility looked like weakness. But when we came into A.A., we began to be humble. And we found out that humility gave us the power we needed to overcome drinking.

So ............

Have I learned that there is power in humility?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Trust

Happiness

Most of us want to be happy. We just don't know how. We aren't sure what happiness is. We've learned the hard way that some things we wanted didn't make us happy. We're learning that happiness comes when we live the way our Higher Power wants us to live. That's when we’re honest. When we do our best work. When we are true friends. We make happiness; we don't find it. Sometimes we don't even know we're happy. We're too busy with our work, our recovery program, our friends and family. We need to slow down and know that when we do what we need to, happiness comes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tolerance

Finally, we begin to see that all people, including ourselves, are to some extent emotionally ill as well as frequently wrong. When this happens, we approach true tolerance and we see what real love for our fellows actually means.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 92

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Let your dreams be bigger than your fears, your actions louder than your words, and your faith stronger than your feelings.” ~ Unknown Author

bluidkiti 12-03-2022 05:34 AM

December 3

Prayer to Awaken The Dawn

Dear Lord,
Sometimes I arise before dawn, I awake in the darkness but know that the light will emerge. I wait on you Lord in hard times, just like those dark mornings when my heart feels cold, when I need to trust that the dawn will break, that light, life and love will shine bright. Help me to remember at these times that morning has broken through the darkness, and to trust you with the anxieties, fears and grief of the night. I will draw near to you, I will wait for the dawn.

~ Thomas Traherne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

...........practice these principles in all our affairs.

We do not just practice these principles in regard to our drinking problem. We practice them in all our affairs. We do not give one compartment of our lives to God and keep the other compartments to ourselves. We give our whole lives to God and we try to do His will in every respect. "Herein lies our growth, herein lies all the promise of the future, an ever widening horizon.

So ............

Do I carry the A.A. principles with me wherever I go?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Mistakes

Everyone makes mistakes. We all know that. So why is it so hard to admit our own? We seem to think we have to be perfect. We have a hard time looking at our mistakes. But our mistakes can be very good teachers. Our Twelve Step program helps us learn and grow from our mistakes. In Step Four, half of our work is to think of our mistakes. In step Five, we admit our mistakes to God, ourselves, and another person. We learn, we grow and become whole. All by coming to know our mistakes The gift of recovery is not being free from mistakes. Instead, we do the Steps to claim our mistakes and talk about them. We find the gift of recovery when we learn from our mistakes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy, Joyous and Free

We are sure God wants us to be happy, joyous, and free. We cannot subscribe to the belief that this life is a vale of tears, though it once was just that for many of us. But it is clear that we made our own misery. God didn't do it. Avoid then, the deliberate manufacture of misery, but if trouble comes, cheerfully capitalize it as an opportunity to demonstrate His omnipotence.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 133

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“In life, you can blame a lot of people and you can wallow in self-pity or you can pick yourself up and say listen, I have to be responsible for myself.” ~ Howard Schultz

bluidkiti 12-04-2022 05:42 AM

December 4

Being Thankful Prayer

Lord,
I thank you for the direction and guidance you’ve provided me in my life, and for increasing my wisdom as the years pass.

I pray that I’ll continually see you as the source of all wisdom and that I will continue to turn to You for help in understanding myself and the world around me.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Alcoholics carry an awful load around with them.

What a load lying puts on your shoulders! Drinking makes liars out of all of us alcoholics. In order to get the alcohol we wanted, we have to lie all the time. We have to lie about where we've been and what we've been doing. When you are lying you are only half alive because of the fear of being found out. When you come into A.A., and get honest with yourself and with other people, that terrible load of lying falls off your shoulders.

So ............

Have I got rid of that load of lying?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Getting Better

Only a short time ago, we were very sick. Getting sober made us so much better.
At first, when we stopped drinking, we thought we were fixed. Then we began to see that we were not all that well. No doctor can fix us. To get well, we need to keep living by the Twelve Steps and the slogans of our program. We need to keep on trusting that our Higher Power will heal us.
One Day at a Time, day after day, we get stronger and happier. And it never has to stop. Each day, we know ourselves a little better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Priorities

I was also able to realize that this bonfire of resentment and rage was beckoning me to pick up a drink and plunge into my death. Then I realized that I had to separate my sobriety from everything else that was going on in my life. No matter what happened or didn't happen, I couldn't drink. In fact, none of these things that I was going through had anything to do with my sobriety; the tides of life flow endlessly for better or worse, both good and bad, and I cannot allow my sobriety to become dependent on these ups and downs of living. Sobriety must live a life of its own.

Alcoholics Anonymous, Fourth Edition Pages 450-451

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“When you are grateful, fear disappears and abundance appears.” ~ Anthony Robbins

“He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.” ~ Epictetus

bluidkiti 12-05-2022 05:34 AM

December 5

Prayer For Uncertain Times

Lord ,
In this time of bewilderment and fear, we ask you to give us the courage to take care of one another.

For those who are ill, especially those who are frightened and alone, for those who cannot access healthcare, for those who are homeless and lost, hear our prayer!

In the midst of our sadness and grief, we ask you to give us words to comfort one another. For those who are dying, and for those who have already died from this virus, for those who tend them and for those with no one to tend them, hear our prayer!

In the midst of our own anxiety, we ask you to give us the courage to support one another as you would. For those who are unexpectedly unemployed, for employers who share what they can, for our government and financial institutions and those who lead them, hear our prayer!

In the midst of our struggle to ensure a healthy future for all who live on this planet, we ask you to give us the hope that surpasses our current understanding. For healthcare workers, spiritual leaders and our faith communities, for artists and poets, for prophets and teachers, hear our prayer!

In the midst of our growing awareness that all life on Earth is connected, we ask for the heart to respect and cherish all life. That all peoples recognize that we are all your children, hear our prayer!

We trust in you and your power working for us. Please hear and answer our prayers.
Amen! Amen!

~ Sister Cynthia Serjak, RSM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Am I critical of other members of A.A. or of new prospects?

Do I ever say about other members: "I don't think they're sincere, I think they're bluffing, or I think they're taking a few drinks on the quiet?" Do I realize that my doubtful and skeptical attitude is hurting those members, if only in my attitude toward them, which they cannot help sensing? Do I say about new prospects: "They'll never make the program," or do I say: "They'll only last a few months?"

So ............

If I take this attitude, I am unconsciously hurting those prospects' chances. Is my attitude always constructive and never destructive?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Achievements

It's said that alcoholics sometimes snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Some of us, deep down inside, don't really think we deserve success. We might be discouraged by feelings of guilt or low self-esteem, or perhaps we don't want to become targets of envy or competitive attacks. We need to practice acceptance of our current situation, always believing that we do have a right to achievements that match our talents and experience, indeed, such achievements may only be possible now that we're sober and thinking rightly.

Some people think that our occupations and our program are separate matters. But the very last idea in the 12 Steps is to practice our principles "in all our affairs." If we take the view that any useful work is a form of service, we'll find opportunities to be beneficial to everyone. With that attitude, we will also realize that we deserve success. I ‘ll know today that I have a right to do well in any legitimate activity for which I am qualified.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Light From A Prayer

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

We treasure our "Serenity Prayer" because it brings a new light to us that can dissipate our oldtime and nearly fatal habit of fooling ourselves.

In the radiance of this prayer, we see that defeat, rightly accepted, need be no disaster. We now know that we do not have to run away, nor ought we again try to overcome adversity by still another bulldozing drive that can only push up obstacles before us faster than they can be taken down.

“As Bill Sees It” Page 20

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote
“To experience peace does not mean that your life is always blissful. It means that you are capable of tapping into a blissful state of mind amidst the normal chaos of a hectic life.” ~ Jill Bolte Taylor

bluidkiti 12-06-2022 04:06 AM

December 6

Gratitude Prayer

Thank you, God, for another day
For helping me live in a decent way
Thank you for the joy of living
And the happiness that comes from giving
Teach me to wake to the morning sun
With the prayer 'Thy Will Be Done'
Thank you, God, for another day
Thank you, God for AA,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

It is essential that the A.A. program become part of us.

We must have its essentials at our fingertips. We cannot study the Big Book too much or too often. The more we read it and study it, the better equipped we are to think A.A., act A.A., and live A.A. We cannot know too much about the program. The chances are that we will never know enough. But we can make as much of it our own as possible.

So ...........

How much of the Big Book have I thoroughly mastered?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Human Race

Try to remember that we're part of a larger fellowship called " the human race."

We all hurt the same. We all love the same. We all need understanding and care. Yet, in other ways, we are not all the same.
Let's remember to understand differences among people. If not, we'll be afraid of anyone who's not like us.
And this isn't God's way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Conviction and Compromise

One qualification for a useful life is give-and-take, the ability to compromise cheerfully. Compromise comes hard to us "all or nothing" drunks. Nevertheless, we must never lose sight of the fact that progress is nearly always characterized by a series of improving compromises.

Of course, we cannot always compromise. There are circumstances in which it is necessary to stick flat-footed to one's convictions until the issue is resolved. Deciding when to compromise and when not to compromise always calls for the most careful discrimination.

"As Bill Sees It" Page 59

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Compromise is not about losing. It is about deciding that the other person has just as much right to be happy with the end result as you do." ~ Donna Martini

bluidkiti 12-07-2022 04:40 AM

December 7

Prayer When Frustrated

Lord, I feel so frustrated I just want to scream out ‘aargh’ but I can’t even do that.
I try to get through to others what it’s like, but I can’t.
I try to tell them how I feel, but they don’t understand.
I try to tell them what I want, what I need, but I can’t get through.
It’s all so hopeless. I don’t know why I even bother trying.
I hate being helpless: I like to be doing things and relating to people, but I can’t.
I just lie here, stuck, unable to do anything about my situation.
Anxiously I look for signs of hope, signs that the future might be brighter.
Any glimmer of light is seized upon, but the joy is short-lived because the struggle is so intense, the frustration so great.

Don’t leave me, Lord. I need you like I’ve never needed you before.
At least you know what I’m thinking, how I’m feeling.
And I know that I am not alone, not really alone, at all.
Help me to endure the unendurable, give me the courage to keep on trying— again and again and again— so that I don’t sink into the pit of black despair.
Amen.

~ Helen Prior

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We need to check up on ourselves periodically.

Just how good an A.A. am I? Am I attending meetings regularly? Am I doing my share to carry the load? When there is something to be done, do I volunteer? Do I speak at meetings when asked, no matter how nervous I am? Do I accept each opportunity to do twelfth step work as a challenge? Do I give freely of my time and money? Am I trying to spread A.A. wherever I go? Is my daily life a demonstration of A.A. principles? Am I a good A.A.?

So ............

Am I lacking in any of these areas??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Envy

We often find ourselves envying someone else. We think they have more money or more friends. We see them as better looking or luckier in some way than we are.

It is so easy to overlook our own gifts when we do this. We get fooled by what looks good and forget that all human beings have some weaknesses and pain, just like we do. Like the trees in the forest, we each have our own unique beauty and talents to offer. If we believe in ourselves, rather than envy those around us, we will grow green and tall in our own way.

What qualities might I have that someone might envy?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Common Good

The unity, the effectiveness, and even the survival of A.A. will always depend upon our continued willingness to give up some of our personal ambitions and desires for the common safety and welfare. Just as sacrifice means survival for the individual alcoholic, so does sacrifice mean unity and survival for the group and for A.A.'s entire Fellowship.

"As Bill Sees It" Page 220

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Today I can set my goals with the clear and confident knowledge that I can only do one thing at a time and take one step at a time towards that goal. I do not need to wait until I reach the goal to be happy and satisfied. I am fulfilled with each step, knowing that is all I can do in each moment." ~ Ruth Fishel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

********** Off Topic **********

Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day

Dear Father, on this annual recollection of the Pearl Harbor tragedy, we pray for thy benign blessings and guidance. Enable us to reflect clearly and conscientiously upon our priceless heritage. Let us be determined to guard and preserve it through all trials and difficulties. Help us to be worthy of the lofty ideals for which so many courageous men and women sacrificed so much.

~~ Tom Hoefling

(December 7, 1941)
The attack on Pearl Harbor was a surprise military strike by the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service upon the United States against the naval base at Pearl Harbor in Honolulu, Territory of Hawaii, just before 8:00 a.m. on Sunday, December 7, 1941.

bluidkiti 12-08-2022 05:12 AM

December 8

A Three Step Morning Prayer

First Step: Plant your feet firmly on the earth. Using your five senses, give thanks to our Creator God for the countless ways God comes to us through creation- for all the beauty that your eyes see, for all the sounds that your ears ear, for all the scents that you smell, the tastes that you taste, for all that you feel (the sun, wind, rain, snow, warm, or cold). Pray this day that you may be open and attuned to the countless ways that our Creator God comes to us through your senses, through the gifts of creation.
Second Step: Let go of all the pain, struggle, regret, failures, garbage of yesterday - step out of it - leave it behind- brush the dust of it from your feet.
Third Step: With this third and final step, step into the gift of the new day, full of hope, promise, and potential. Give thanks for the gift of this new day, which God has made!
Amen.

~ Jose Hobday
(A Native American Prayer)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Before coming to A.A., I always had excuses for taking a drink:

"She said . . . , " "He said . . . ," "I got fired yesterday," "I got a great job today." No area of my life would be good if I drank again. In sobriety my life gets better each day. I must always remember not to drink, to trust God, and to stay active in A.A.

So ............

Am I putting anything before my sobriety, God, and A.A. today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Freedom

Sobriety is freedom. With this freedom, we have a responsibility to help other alcoholics who still suffer. The program tells us this in Step Twelve. We do this by telling our stories and offering hope.
We must be ready to care, to give ourselves. This is what spirituality is about. When we help others, we prepare the road for those who enter the program after us.
Tradition Five of the Twelve Traditions says, “Each group has but one primary purpose---to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers.” It means we get better by helping others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Give Thanks

Though I still find it difficult to accept today's pain and anxiety with any great degree of serenity--as those more advanced in the spiritual life seem able to do--I can give thanks for present pain nevertheless.

I find the willingness to do this by contemplating the lessons learned from past suffering--lessons which have led to the blessings I now enjoy. I can remember how the agonies of alcoholism, the pain of rebellion and thwarted pride, have often led me to God's grace, and so to a new freedom.

As Bill Sees It Page 266

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Change the changeable, accept the unchangeable, and remove yourself from the unacceptable." ~ Denis Waitley

bluidkiti 12-09-2022 05:14 AM

December 9

New Day Prayer

Lord, I place today in Your hands and trust You to direct my day until I place my head back onto my pillow of sleep. I ask that whether in busyness or in quietude, Your will be done. Whether I am surrounded by crowds of people or remain in the solitude of my own company, I ask that You would be there to direct. I pray that the words of my mouth and the meditations of my inner being, would be pleasing and acceptable to You throughout today, and may Your will be done.
Amen.

From a Prayer by Jim Witherspoon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We finally came to the bottom.

We did not have to be financially broke, although many of us were. But we were spiritually bankrupt. We had a soul-sickness, a revulsion against ourselves and against our way of living. Life had become impossible for us. We had to end it all or do something about it.

So ............

Am I glad I did something about it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Blaming

Are we blamers? We sure were blamers when we were using alcohol. Then everything was someone's fault. Some of us did our blaming out loud. And some of us silently blamed others.
It's harder to praise than to blame people. Faults stand out like street
signs, but the good things about people may be harder to see. We can see the good in people when we slow down, watch, and listen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feeling Alone

And what can be said of many A.A. members who, for a variety of reasons, cannot have a family life? At first many of these feel lonely, hurt, and left out as they witness so much domestic happiness about them. If they cannot have this kind of happiness, can A.A. offer them satisfactions of similar worth and durability? Yes--whenever they try hard to seek them out. Surrounded by so many A.A. friends, these so-called loners tell us they no longer feel alone. In partnership with others--women and men--they can devote themselves to any number of ideas, people, and constructive projects. Free of marital responsibilities, they can participate in enterprises which would be denied to family men and women. We daily see such members render prodigies of service, and receive great joys in return.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 120

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"I now see how owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we will ever do." ~ Brene Brown

bluidkiti 12-10-2022 04:23 AM

December 10

Gratitude for the Simple Things

Thank you, God, for all your blessings to me and my family;
for the strength you give me each day and
for all the people around me who make life more meaningful.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I have lost many of my resentments.

I have found that getting even with people doesn't do any good. When we try to get revenge, instead of making us feel better, it leaves us frustrated and cheated. Instead of punishing our enemies, we've only hurt our own peace of mind. It does not pay to nurse a grudge; it hurts us more than anyone else. Hate causes frustration, inner conflict, and neurosis. If we give out hate, we will become hateful. If we are resentful, we will be resented. If we do not like people, people will not like us. Revengefulness is a powerful poison in our systems.

So ............

Have I lost my resentments?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Relationships

There is a gift for us in each relationship that comes our way. Sometimes the gift is a behavior we're learning to acquire: detachment, self esteem, becoming confident enough to set a boundary, or owning our power in another way.

Some relationships trigger healing in us. We find ourselves learning the most important lessons from the people we least expect to help us. We learn about loving ourselves or someone else.Or we'll learn to let others love us.We don't have to control this process.

I will try to open myself to the lesson and the gift from each person in my life. I will trust that I, too, am a gift in other people's lives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No Reservation

We have seen the truth demonstrated again and again: "Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic." Commencing to drink after a period of sobriety, we are in a short time as bad as ever. If we are planning to stop drinking, there must be no reservation of any kind, nor any lurking notion that someday we will be immune to alcohol.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 33

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Expecting the world to be fair to you because you are a good person is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." ~ Vernon Davis

bluidkiti 12-11-2022 03:36 AM

December 11

Prayer for Facing This Day

Dear God,
Please give me strength when I am weak, love when I feel forsaken, courage when I am afraid,
wisdom when I feel foolish, comfort when I am alone, hope when I feel rejected,
and peace when I am in turmoil.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Today, I am less self-centered.

The world used to revolve around me at the center.
I cared more about my own needs, desires and my own pleasure, my own way, myself than I did about the whole rest of the world. What happened to me was more important than anything else I could think of. I was selfishly trying to be happy and therefore I was unhappy most of the time. I have found that selfishly seeking pleasure does not bring true happiness. Thinking of myself all the time cuts me off from the best in life. A.A. taught me to care less about myself and more about the other person.

So ............

Today, am I less self-centered?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Living Life

Living means facing all of life. Life is joy and sorrow. We used to be people who wanted joy without sorrow. But we can learn from hard times, maybe more than we do in easy times. Often, getting through hard times helps us grow. When things get tough, maybe we want to turn and run. Then, a gentle voice from within us says, “I am with you. You have friends who will help.” If we listen, we’ll hear our Higher Power. This is what is meant by “conscious contact” in Step eleven. As this conscious contact grows, our courage grows. And we find the strength to face hard times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life on Life's Terms

For years, I was sure the worst thing that could happen to a nice guy like me would be that I would turn out to be an alcoholic. Today, I find it's the best thing that has ever happened to me. This proves I don't know what's good for me. And if I don't know what's good for me, then I don't know what's good or bad for you or for anyone. So I'm better off if I don't give advice, don't figure I know what's best, and just accept life on life's terms, as it is today--especially my own life, as it actually is. Before AA, I judged myself by my intentions, while the world was judging me by my actions.

Alcoholics Anonymous Pages 449-450

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“The thing we all had in common wasn’t muscle; it was the will to do whatever it takes.” ~ Chris Kyle

“Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you are not willing to move your feet.” ~ Suzanne Woods Fisher

bluidkiti 12-12-2022 05:28 AM

December 12

An Amends Prayer

Dear God,
Now I pray for Your help in making me entirely ready to change my destructive patterns.
Give me the strength to deal with the character defects I’ve turned over to You.
Allow me to accept all the changes You want to make in me.
Help me to be the person You want me to be.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When I think of all who have gone before me, I realize that I am only one, not the most important, person.

What happens to me is not so very important after all. And A.A. has taught me to be more outgoing, to seek friendship by going at least halfway, to have a sincere desire to help. I have more self-respect now that I have less sensitiveness. I have found that the only way to live comfortably with myself is to take a real interest in others.

So ............

Do I realize that I am not so important after all?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Faith

We once believed that Alcohol could help us control our happiness. But now we’re learning to rely on faith for our happiness. Faith is about leaving things to our Higher Power's control. Instead of wanting to control ourselves, we trust our Higher Power will help us handle things that come along.
In recovery, we work at having more faith. Faith in a Higher Power. Faith in the Steps. Faith in our groups. Faith that our lives will get better, if we don't use chemicals and we work an honest

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Truth, the Liberator

How truth makes us free is something that we A.A.'s can well understand. It cut the shackles that once bound us to alcohol. It continues to release us from conflicts and miseries beyond reckoning; it banishes fear and isolation. The unity of our Fellowship, the love we cherish for each other, the esteem in which the world holds us--all of these are products of the truth which, under God, we have been privileged to perceive.

As Bill Sees It Page 70

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Learn to ask for forgiveness for the wrongs you've done because you will not die if you swallow your pride." ~ Innah Delos Angeles

bluidkiti 12-13-2022 05:22 AM

December 13

Holiday Depression Prayer

Lord, it seems so silly and wrong to get so depressed about this up-coming holiday, but Lord You know that I find holidays quite difficult to cope with, and I know that I cannot break out of this cycle of holiday depression, without Your help and strength.

Show me what I ought to do in order to prevent this from happening. Teach me what to do when panicky thoughts start to fill up my mind and show me how to prevent those thoughts from taking hold of me, and pushing me back into a state of despair and depression. Lord, may I truly break free of this recurring holiday depression once and for all
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

In A.A. we have to re-educate our minds.

We have to learn to think differently. We have to take a long view of drinking instead of a short view. We have to look through the glass to see what lies beyond it. We have to look through the night before to the morning after. No matter how good alcohol looks from the short view, we must realize that in the long run it is poison to us.

So ............

Have I learned to look through the bottle to the better life that lies ahead?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Worry

Worry---it's a lonely activity. It puts distance between us and others. Our program is full of ideas about what to do with worry. On Step Three, we turn our will and our lives over to God. This includes worry.
Our slogans also suggest what to do with worry. One Day at a Time. Live and Let Live. Easy Does It. Let Go and Let God. Their main message is stop worrying. Trust the program. Trust your Higher Power. Everything will be okay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Way Out

The tremendous fact for every one of us is that we have discovered a common solution. We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree, and upon which we can join in brotherly and harmonious action. This is the great news this book carries to those who suffer from alcoholism.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 17

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“It's not the burdens of everyday life that drive men mad. It is the regret of yesterday and the fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves that rob us of today.” -- Unknown Author

bluidkiti 12-14-2022 06:07 AM

December 14

Another Serenity Prayer

God, grant me the serenity
To stop beating myself up for not doing things perfectly,
The courage to forgive myself because I’m working on doing better,
And the wisdom to know that You already love me just the way I am.

~ Eleanor Brownn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

People who have had a slip are ashamed of themselves - sometimes so ashamed that they fear to go back to A.A.

They develop the old inferiority complex and tell themselves that they are no good, that they have let down their friends in A.A., that they are hopeless, and that they can never make it. This state of mind is perhaps worse than it was originally. They have probably been somewhat weakened by their slip. But their A.A. training cannot ever be entirely lost. They always know they can go back if they want to. They know there is still God's help for them if they will again ask for it.

So ............

Do I believe that I can never entirely lose what I have learned in A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self Acceptance

To finally come to self acceptance. To accept and be comfortable in my own skin. That is one of the keys to life isn’t it?

To be done with perfectionism in all its forms. To learn to practice imperfection in all things in life. I’ve heard it said that in Japanese art when an object like a jar is broken they fill in the cracks with gold. The brokenness and imperfection is what makes the object even more valuable and beautiful. May I see imperfection in that way in my own life. As Leonard Cohen said, “Everything has a crack in it, that’s how the light gets in.”

To forgive myself because I’m in process and it’s all learning and I’ll never be done learning. The thought that life is one big experiment, frees me to experiment, explore and have fun. And I am working on doing better, I always want to improve and to learn more for the joy of it rather than having to prove anything to anyone or to get in good with God, but to become fully myself.

What I’m discovering in deeper ways in my life, is the greatest wisdom in life – is to believe, know, experience and soak in the love of God and to allow that love to overflow in my life so that I will love well – others and even myself. It’s a powerful truth to realize that God loves and accepts me just as I am, just the way I am. Grace is to accept the fact of your acceptance by God, no matter what.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Understanding

Gradually, however, God began to clear my channels so that real understanding began to come. Then was the time when full realization and acknowledgement came to me. It was realization and acknowledgement of the fact that I was full of self-pity and resentment, realization that I had not fully given my problems to God. I was still trying to do my own fixing.

Experience, Strength and Hope Page 22

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“No amount of self-improvement can make up for any lack of self-acceptance.” ~ Robert Holden

bluidkiti 12-15-2022 05:19 AM

December 15

Prayer for Guidance and Strength

Lord,
I pray that you guide me and strengthen me as I carry my many burdens.
My burdens weigh down my heart, and I doubt at times if I can bear it.
When I am upset or anxious, bring me strength and calmness.
Bring me peace in my time of need and help me to find happiness every day.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

What makes an effective talk at a meeting?

It is not a fine speech with a fine choice of words and an impressive delivery. Often a few simple words direct from the heart are more effective than the most polished speech. There is always a temptation to speak beyond your own experience, in order to make a good impression. This is never effective. What does not come from the heart does not reach the heart. What comes from personal experience and a sincere desire to help the other person reaches the heart.

So ............

Do I speak for effect or with a deep desire to help?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Spiritual Nourishment

We neglect to provide ourselves with nourishment for our minds and souls.

Life's experiences include joy and beauty and pain and grief. If we are uplifted every day by beauty in its many forms, we are strengthened and carried along to meet the tougher parts of our day. We may need to push some other things aside to have it. Perhaps some jobs can wait until tomorrow, and we can linger over a meal with our loved ones. Maybe mowing the lawn or fixing the car isn't as important as a half-hour of good music. Do we make space for nourishing moments each day?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Success" in Twelfth-Stepping

We now see that in twelfth-stepping the immediate results are not so important. Some people start out working with others and have immediate success. They are likely to get cocky. Those of us who are not so successful at first get depressed.

As a matter of fact, the successful worker differs from the unsuccessful only in being lucky about his prospects. He simply hits newcomers who are ready and able to stop at once. Given the same prospects, the seemingly unsuccessful person would have produced almost the same results. You have to work on a lot of newcomers before the law of averages commences to assert itself.

As Bill Sees It Page 165

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“The moment you accept that there's a guidance system supporting you, then you experience a new sense of freedom and peace.” ~ Gabrielle Bernstein

bluidkiti 12-16-2022 04:06 AM

December 16

Humility Prayer

God,
I am far too often influenced by what others think of me. I am always pretending to be either richer or smarter or nicer than I really am. Please prevent me from trying to attract attention. Don't let me gloat over praise on one hand or be discouraged by criticism on the other. Nor let me waste time weaving imaginary situations in which the most heroic, charming, witty person present is myself. Show me how to be humble of heart, like you.

~ Author Unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Do I have any hard feelings about other group members or for any other A.A. group?

Am I critical of the way a group member thinks or acts? Do I feel that another group is operating in the wrong way and do I broadcast it?

Or do I realize that all A.A. members, no matter what their limitations, have something to offer, some good, however little, that they can do for A.A. in spite of their handicaps? Do I believe that there is a place for all kinds of groups in A.A., provided they are following A.A. traditions, and that they can be effective, even if I do not agree with their procedure?

So ............

Am I tolerant of people and groups?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Relationships

Life is difficult. We never reach the point where our path is free of obstacles and hardships. As painful and hard as it is, life also is deeply meaningful and worthwhile when we submit to its reality and live in a spiritual way.

We need relationships to stay sane. We need to pull together and support one another the way people do in difficult times. Rugged individualism isn't always good for real people in the real world. We need relationships so we can celebrate and encourage one another. We need relationships so we can laugh and make jokes and tell our personal stories. And we need to stand together to oppose the destructive forces around us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Search For Motives

Some of us clung to the claim that when drinking we never hurt anybody but ourselves. Our families didn't suffer, because we always paid the bills and seldom drank at home. Our business associates didn't suffer, because we were usually on the job. Our reputations didn't suffer, because we were certain few knew of our drinking. Those who did would sometimes assure us that, after all, a lively bender was only a good man's fault. What real harm, therefore, had we done? No more, surely, than we could easily mend with a few casual apologies.

This attitude, of course, is the end result of purposeful forgetting. It is an attitude which can be changed only by a deep and honest search of our motives and actions.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 79

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of what you do have power over instead of craving control over what you don’t.” ~ Steve Mariboli

bluidkiti 12-17-2022 07:12 AM

December 18

Prayer for a Good Day

Lord,
I pray that You will help me have a good day today, despite my changing circumstances. Give me the wisdom and discernment to know how I can help someone or reach out to someone who is hurting. Help me be a good part of someone else’s day, and encourage me to think of others before myself. And at the end of this day, remind me to thank You for every blessing You have given me. May I always take delight in every small or large blessing.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I am content to face the rest of my life without alcohol.

I have made the great decision once and for all. I have surrendered as gracefully as possible to the inevitable. I hope I have no more reservations. I hope that nothing can happen to me now that would justify my drinking. No death of a dear one. No great calamity in any area of my life should justify me drinking. Even if I were on some desert isle, far from the rest of the world, but not far from God, should I ever feel it right to drink. For me, alcohol is out--period. I will always be safe unless I take that first drink.

So ............

Am I fully resigned to this fact?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Second Chance

Life is full of wonderful gifts. Recovery is life's greatest gift to us.
If we're not excited about being sober, we need to check ourselves. Are we keeping something secret? Is there sadness we need to talk about? Are we stuffing anger? These things eat away at our excitement for life.
Many alcoholics never get the gift of recovery. Those of us in recovery are special. We've been given a new life. There will be hard times. But the joy of getting a second chance will be stronger. Am I grateful that I've been given recovery?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered.
Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.
Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies.
Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you.
Be honest and sincere anyway.
What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight.
Create anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous.
Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, will often be forgotten.
Do good anyway.
Give the best you have, and it will never be enough.
Give your best anyway.
In the final analysis, it is between you and God.
It was never between you and them anyway.

~ St. Teresa

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"True humility is intelligent self-respect which keeps us from thinking too highly or too meanly of ourselves. It makes us modest by reminding us how far we have come short of what we can be." ~ Ralph W. Sockman

bluidkiti 12-18-2022 07:39 AM

December 18

Change Me Prayer

Lord,
You are the one I turn to for help in moments of weakness and times of need.
I ask you to turn my weakness into strength, my suffering into compassion, my sorrow into joy, and my pain into comfort for others.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Strength comes from coming to believe in a Higher Power that can help you.

You can't define this Higher Power, but you can see how it helps other alcoholics. You hear them talk about it and you begin to get the idea yourself. You try praying in a quiet time each morning and you begin to feel stronger, as though your prayers were heard. So you gradually come to believe there must be a Power in the world outside yourself, which is stronger than you and to which you can turn for help.

So ............

Am I receiving strength from my faith in a Higher Power?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Living Day by Day

"Life by the mile is a trial; by the inch it's a cinch."
In the past, we got into trouble when we thought we had to have our lives mapped out forever. That just did not work.

We need only deal with the problems and joys of today. If we try to see too far ahead, we lose touch with the reality of the here and now. The Lord lets us know what we need to know when we need to know it.

What seems impossible when looked at in total --writing a book, putting the children through college, abstaining for the rest of our lives -- becomes manageable when working step-by-step, day-by-day.

So many of the things we worry about never happen. How much better it is to concentrate our energies on the real demands and challenges of today, insignificant as they may seem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Belonging

There is no more 'aloneness,' with that awful ache, so deep in the heart of every alcoholic that nothing, before, could ever reach it. That ache is gone and never need return again. Now there is a sense of belonging, of being wanted and needed and loved. In return for a bottle and a hangover, we have been given the Keys of the Kingdom.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 312, 3rd Edition

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“A man who has committed a mistake and doesn't correct it is committing another mistake.” ~ Confucius

bluidkiti 12-19-2022 05:23 AM

December 19

Times of Change Prayer

Lord, I’m going through many changes in my life, which often make me feel unsettled.
I frequently feel stressed and fearful that I will take the wrong step.
Lord, please guide and direct me through these changes, and help me be more resilient.
Help me develop the new skills I need to deal with these new challenges.
Help me have a positive attitude and not fixate on things out of my control.
Help me seek out and obtain the support I need from family and friends.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Every day we have this choice:

We can take the path that leads to insanity and death. And remember, that our next drunk could be our last one.
Or we can take the path that leads to a reasonably happy and useful life.
The choice is ours each day of our lives. God grant that we take the right path.

So ............

Have I made my choice today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Truth

One thing is a lot easier in life now is this---we can keep our story straight! We are learning that there's one really good way to get along with people. Keep It Simple. Just tell the truth. It's hard to do at first. We might think, "If people see the real me, what will happen?" We might be afraid of what will happen if we don't lie or make excuses.
But telling the truth works! We find out we never did fool anyone anyway!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alcoholism — an illness

Today we are willing to accept the idea that, as far as we are concerned, alcoholism is an illness, a progressive illness which can never be “cured,” but which, like some other illnesses, can be arrested. We agree that there is nothing shameful about having an illness, provided we face the problem honestly and try to do something about it. We are perfectly willing to admit that we are allergic to alcohol and that it is simply common sense to stay away from the source of our allergy.

We understand now that once a person has crossed the invisible borderline from heavy drinking to compulsive alcoholic drinking, that person will always remain an alcoholic. So far as we know, there can never be any turning back to “normal” social drinking. “Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic” is a simple fact we have to live with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." ~ Mark Twain

"Protecting people from the truth is another way of shutting them out." ~ Blaize Clement

bluidkiti 12-20-2022 05:14 AM

December 20

Contentment Prayer

God,
I pray that I will stay focused on today, not yesterday or tomorrow.
I pray that You will constantly remind me to be content in all of my circumstances.
I pray that You will fill me up so that I may be joyful all day, even if stress creeps in.
Amend

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The new life cannot be built in a day.

We have to take the program slowly, a little at a time. Our subconscious minds have to be reeducated. We have to learn to think differently. We have to get used to sober thinking instead of alcoholic thinking. Anyone who tries it knows that the old alcoholic thinking is apt to come back on us when we least expect it. Building a new life is a slow process, but it can be done if we really follow the A.A. program.

So ............

Am I building a new life on the foundation of sobriety?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Gratitude Attitude

Every day we face interruptions, delays, changes, and challenges. We face personality conflicts and disappointments. Often when we're feeling overwhelmed, we can't see the lessons in these experiences.

One simple concept can get us through the most stressful of times. It's called gratitude. We learn to say, thank you, for these problems and feelings. Thank you for the way things are. I don't like this experience, but thank you anyway.

Force gratitude until it becomes habitual. Gratitude helps us stop trying to control outcomes. It is the key that unlocks positive energy in our life. It is the alchemy that turns problems into blessings, and the unexpected into gifts. I will start the process of turning today's pain into tomorrow's joy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sponsor

If we are fooling ourselves, a competent adviser can see this quickly. And, as he skillfully guides us away from our fantasies, we are surprised to find that we have few of the usual urges to defend ourselves against unpleasant truths. In no other way can fear, pride, and ignorance be so readily melted. After a time, we realize that we are standing firm on a brand-new foundation for integrity, and we gratefully credit our sponsors, whose advice pointed the way.

As Bill Sees It Page 248

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"The forgiveness of God is one thing, but the proof that we want that forgiveness is the energy we expend to make amends for the wrong." ~ Fulton J. Sheen

bluidkiti 12-21-2022 06:51 AM

December 21

Prayer for Strength

Lord,
Today, please give me strength when I am weak, love when I feel forsaken, courage when I am afraid, wisdom when I feel foolish, comfort when I am alone, hope when I feel rejected, and peace when I am in turmoil.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just Thought

When new members come into my A.A. group, do I make a special effort to make them feel at home?

Do I put myself out to listen to them, even if their ideas of A.A. are vague? Do I make it a habit to talk to all new members myself, or do I often leave that to someone else? I may not be able to help them, but then again it may be something that I might say that would put them on the right track. When I see any members sitting alone, do I put myself out to be nice to them, or do I stay among my own special group of friends and leave them out in the cold?

So ............

Are all new A.A. 's & “loners” my responsibility?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Feelings

When we were using alcohol, our lives kept getting emptier. We tried to keep new things out of our lives. We were scared and tired. We saw feelings as bad. So, we drank alcohol instead of feeling them.
Now we can live fully every day. We don't want to block our feelings. We aren't afraid to open up to new things and people.
And the more we open up, the happier we are. Our feelings are free. They bounce around. They don't get stuck. We feel alive. Sure, we feel pain and fear sometimes. But we feel joy, love, and laughter too. And, more and more often, we feel alive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Agnostic Temperament

Some of us have been violently anti-religious. To others, the word "God" brought up a particular idea of Him with which someone had tried to impress them during childhood. Perhaps we rejected this particular conception because it seemed inadequate. With that rejection we imagined we had abandoned the God idea entirely. We were bothered with the thought that faith and dependence upon a Power beyond ourselves was somewhat weak, even cowardly. We looked upon this world of warring individuals, warring theological systems, and inexplicable calamity, with deep skepticism. We looked askance at many individuals who claimed to be godly. How could a Supreme Being have anything to do with it all? And who could comprehend a Supreme Being anyhow? Yet, in other moments, we found ourselves thinking, when enchanted by a starlit night, "Who, then, made all this?" There was a feeling of awe and wonder, but it was fleeting and soon lost.

Yes, we of agnostic temperament have had these thoughts and experiences. Let us make haste to reassure you. We found that as soon as we were able to lay aside prejudice and express even a willingness to believe in a Power greater than ourselves, we commenced to get results, even though it was impossible for any of us to fully define or comprehend that Power, which is God.

Alcoholics Anonymous Pages 45 – 46

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love." ~ Lao-tzu

bluidkiti 12-22-2022 04:45 AM

December 22

Prayer for Worry and Stress

Lord, I am wound up inside.
I feel I cannot continue to meet the demands placed upon me.
I am close to burn out and I fear I may buckle under the weight of these worries.
I am tired of carrying this stress around, so I need to find some peace.
So, Lord, I come to you. I trust that you can lead me to a new place,
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I shall not wait to be drafted for service to A.A. I Shall volunteer.

I shall be loyal in my attendance, generous in my giving, kind in my criticism, creative in my suggestions, loving in my attitudes. I shall give to A.A. my interest, my enthusiasm, my devotion, and most of all, myself.

So ............

Do I also accept this as my AA. credo?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Laughter

There was a time when we wouldn't let anyone laugh at us---even ourselves. We had too much shame. We were in too much pain. We took the world too seriously. If we laughed, it was at others---not at ourselves. Over time , real honest laughter returns to us. Laughter is a way of accepting ourselves as human. To be human means we can make mistakes. It means we can lighten up. It also means growing up. And growing up means being happy with all of who we are---even parts of us that may seem odd or funny. If we can't laugh at ourselves, we shut ourselves off from the world. We shut ourselves off from the parts of us we need to accept. Am I willing to accept the fact that I'm human?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Outside Help

It was evident that a solitary self-appraisal, and the admission of our defects based upon that alone, wouldn't be nearly enough. We'd have to have outside help if we were surely to know and admit the truth about ourselves--the help of God and of another human being.

Only by discussing ourselves, holding back nothing, only by being willing to take advice and accept direction could we set foot on the road to straight thinking, solid honesty, and genuine humility.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 59

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“All men make mistakes, but a good man yields when he knows his course is wrong, and repairs the evil. The only crime is pride.” ~ Sophocles (496-406 BC)

bluidkiti 12-23-2022 05:24 AM

December 23

Remembering Others Prayer

God, when I have food,
help me to remember the hungry;
When I have work,
help me to remember the jobless;
When I have a home,
help me to remember those who have no home at all;
When I am without pain,
help me to remember those who suffer,
And remembering,
help me to destroy my complacency;
bestir my compassion,
and be concerned enough to help;
By word and deed,
those who cry out for what we take for granted.

~ Author Unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I no longer try to escape life through alcoholism.

Drinking built up an unreal world for me and I tried to live in it. But in the morning light the real life was back again and facing it was harder than ever, because I had less resources with which to meet it. Each attempt at escape weakened my personality by the very attempt. Everyone knows that alcohol, by relaxing inhibitions, permits a flight from reality. Alcohol deadens the brain cells that preside over our highest faculties and we are off to the unreal world of drunkenness. A.A. taught me not to run away, but to face reality.

So ............

Have I given up trying to escape life?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Gifts

Holidays are a wonderful and exciting time of year - a time to enjoy snowflakes falling, company coming, and presents. Sometimes we find ourselves concentrating solely on the wrapped presents and forgetting about the presents of the heart. With God's help, we can begin to notice such things as the hug from a brother or sister, the laugh of a grandparent or the hand-drawn card given to us by a friend. All of these wonderful presents and more are ours for the taking; we need only to see beyond the wrapped packages. It is then we will fully experience the joys of the heart.

How many gifts do I see around me right now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Understanding

Gradually, God began to clear my channels so that real understanding began to come. Then was the time when full realization and acknowledgement came to me. It was realization and acknowledgement of the fact that I had not fully given my problems to God. I was still trying to do my own fixing.

Experience, Strength and Hope Page 22
(This is available at most intergroups)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote
"There is only one small letter between the words CAN and CAN'T...and that one letter will TOTALLY change your destiny." ~ Doug Firebaugh

bluidkiti 12-24-2022 05:22 AM

December 24

True Gift of Christmas Prayer

The gifts I’d leave beneath your tree,
Aren’t those that you can touch or see,
No toys meant just for pointless play,
But gifts to bless you every day.
The gift of friendship warm and true,
Is one that I would leave for you.
Good health and happiness and cheer
To keep you smiling through the year.
The gift of peace that comes from God,
With prayer to guide each path you trod.
And when your heart has lost its song
The gift of hope to cheer you on.
These are the gifts I’d leave for you.

~ Kay Hoffman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I no longer waste money, but try to put it to good use.

When I was drunk, I threw money around like I really had it. It gave me a feeling of importance - a millionaire for a day. But the morning after, with an empty wallet and perhaps also some undecipherable checks, was a sad awakening. How could I have been such a fool? How will I ever make it up? Thoughts like these get you down. When we are sober, we spend our hard-earned money as it should be spent. Although perhaps some of us could be more generous in our A.A. giving, at least we do not throw it away.

So ............

Am I making good use of my money?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Measuring Up

Because we strive for perfection, assume it's achievable, and settle for no less in all our activities, we are haunted by our secret fears of not measuring up. But the greater our understanding of the fallacy of this way of thinking becomes, our awareness increases; the more accepting we become of our human frailty, and the less need we have to cover it up.

Our mental health is measurable by the openness we offer to the world. Secrets belie good health and heighten the barriers to it. Letting go of our secrets, by sharing them with friends, we trust, frees us from the power they wield.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rationalization

There are cases where our ancient enemy, rationalization, has stepped in and has justified conduct which was really wrong. The temptation here is to imagine that we had good motives and reasons when we really didn't. We 'constructively criticized' someone who needed it, when our real motive was to win a useless argument. We sometimes hurt those we love because they' need to be taught a lesson, 'when we really want to punish. This perverse wish to hide a bad motive underneath a good one, permeates human affairs from top to bottom.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 94

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of what you do have power over instead of craving control over what you don’t.” ~ Steve Maraboli

bluidkiti 12-25-2022 05:44 AM

December 25

Humble Christmas Prayer

We pray for joy in our hearts, hope in our God, love to forgive, and peace upon the earth.
May there be bread for the hungry, love for the unlovable, healing for the sick, protection for our children, and wisdom for our youth.
We ask for the salvation of all our family members and friends, and we pray for your blessings on all people.
Lord, fill our hearts with your love and power.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I don't believe that A.A. works because I read it in a book or because I hear people say so.

I believe it because I see people getting sober and staying sober. An actual demonstration is what convinces me. When I see the change in people, I can't help believing that A.A. works. We could listen to talk about A.A. all day and still not believe it, but when we see it work, we have to believe it. Seeing is believing.

So ............

Do I see A.A. work every day?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Gratitude

Gratitude doesn't always come from being a receiver. Gratitude is warmest when it accompanies the joy of being able to give without expecting anything in return. We find it isn't enough to feel grateful. We have to express our gratitude by showing kindness and service to everyone around us.

Gratitude is the greatest of all heart-openers. When it enters the heart, love pours out. For every kindness we receive, gratitude inspires a hundred acts of giving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Light

I approached AA with fear and hesitation.
Then, urged by the dread of what was behind me, I took tiny delicate steps onto this new path. When I found the footing was firm, each tentative move brought me a little nearer to trust. Confidence grew, faith in my Higher Power expanded, and I came to recognize a light I had not known existed.

Alcoholics Anonymous Pages 542-543

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Faith is like electricity. You can't see it, but you can see the light." ~ Anonymous A.A.

bluidkiti 12-26-2022 06:00 AM

December 26

Prayer for Happiness

Dear Lord,
I pray that you bless me with true happiness and peace in life.
From a restless mind and anxiety, give me peace.
Lead me from fear of death to eternal life.
Lord, when I suffer despair and lack of confidence, lead me to hope, faith, and trust.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The A.A. way is the way of sobriety, and yet there are slips.

Why do these slips occur? Why don't we all accept A.A. and stay sober from then on? There are many reasons, but it has been proven without exception that once we have become alcoholics we can never drink successfully again. This has never been disproved by any case we know of. Many alcoholics have tried drinking after a period of sobriety from a few days to a few years and no one that we know of has been successful in becoming a normal drinker.

So ............

Do I think I might be the only exception to this rule?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Easy Does It

Student pilots learn a simple method for getting an airplane out of a stall; Release the stick forward, and the airplane rights itself. Continue to hold the stick back, and you cause a fatal spin.
Many times, we cling too tightly to conditions that could simply right themselves if we would only let go. Situations often work themselves out when we stop pushing and pulling too hard.
If we're living on a spiritual basis and following our 12 Step program, lots of unpleasant conditions will clear up without any strain or struggle on our part. The secret, then, is to do our part and act prudently, but also to be willing to let things happen.
I'll remember today not to push or pull too hard to get my way. Things might work themselves out if I simply let natural forces work properly in every situation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Surrender

At one time the admission that I was and am an alcoholic meant shame, defeat, and failure to me. But in the light of the new understanding that I have found in AA, I have been able to interpret that defeat and that failure as seeds of victory. Because it was only through feeling defeat and failure, the inability to cope with my life and with alcohol, that I was able to surrender and accept the fact that I had this disease and that I had to learn to live again without alcohol.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 295

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“The secret of being happy is accepting where you are in life and making the most out of every day.”~ John Duggan

bluidkiti 12-27-2022 06:16 AM

December 27

Prayer for Happiness and Peace

Lord,
I pray that you bless me with true happiness and peace in life. Lead me away from hate and anger toward love. From a restless mind and anxiety, give me peace. Lead me from fear of death to eternal life.

When I suffer despair and lack of confidence, lead me to hope, faith, and trust. Lead me away from dishonesty and deceit toward eternal truth. Allow eternal peace and tranquility to fill my heart, my mind, my life, and my world.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I have got rid of most of my boredom.

One of the hardest things for a new member of A.A. has to understand how to stay sober and not be bored. Drinking was always the answer to all kinds of boring people or boring situations. But once you have taken up the interest of A.A., once you have given it your time and enthusiasm, boredom should not be a problem to you. A new life opens up before you that can be always interesting. Sobriety should give you so many new interests in life that you shouldn't have time to be bored.

So ............

Have I got rid of the fear of being bored?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Feeling Happy

We all have friends who seem happy even though they run into lots of bad luck. And we all know other people who seem grumpy all the time. Nothing makes them very happy. It's puzzling, but some people have decided, maybe without even knowing it, that life is fun and should be enjoyed. No bit of bad luck has to make us miserable unless we let it.

A broken bike, a lost set of keys, a rained-out picnic are things that might make us miserable. But, we can decide they won't. Feeling happy can be a habit - just like brushing teeth.

Can I stop and think today before I let things make me unhappy?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Selfish Program

I can see why you are disturbed to hear some A.A. speakers say, “A.A. is a selfish program.” The word “selfish” ordinarily implies that one is acquisitive, demanding, and thoughtless of the welfare of others. Of course, the A.A. way of life does not at all imply such undesirable traits.

What do these speakers mean? Well, any theologian will tell you that the salvation of his own soul is the highest vocation that a man can have. Without salvation — however we may define this — he will have little or nothing. For us if A.A., there is even more urgency.

If we cannot or will not achieve sobriety, then we become truly lost, right in the here and now. We are of no value to anyone, including ourselves, until we find salvation from alcohol. Therefore, our own recovery and spiritual growth have to come first– a right and necessary kind of self-concern.

As Bill Sees It Page 81

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote
"Charity begins at home ,so I must deal with myself first so that I can deal with others, but still in dealing with myself I need others' experience, sharing of courage, hope and strength." ~ Osmund Lupindu

bluidkiti 12-28-2022 06:01 AM

December 28

Prayer for Emotional Strength

Lord,
I’ve reached my emotional breaking point. I am full of doubt, despair, and anxiety. I’m dissatisfied and don’t know where to turn.

I pray to ask you for emotional strength. Please give me trust, joy, and excitement so I can be lifted from this dark place and become the person you created me to be.

Please be with me and give me comfort and fill my heart with your goodness.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I no longer refuse to do anything because I cannot do it to perfection.

Many alcoholics use the excuse of not being able to do something perfectly to enable us to do nothing at all. We pretend to be perfectionists. We are good at telling people how a thing should be done, but when we come to the effort of doing it ourselves, we balk. We say to ourselves: "I might make a mistake so I'd better let the whole thing slide." In A.A., we set our goals high, but that does not prevent us from trying. The mere fact that we will never fully reach these goals does not prevent us from doing the best we can.

So ............

Have I stopped hiding behind the smoke screen of perfectionism?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Changing

There’s a lot wrong in the world---Child abuse, homeless and hungry people, pollution. Our old way of dealing with these troubles was to break the rules or to “drop out” by using alcohol.
Now we have a new way to change the world. We’re changing ourselves. One Day at a Time, we’re acting like the caring , responsible people we want to be. We use the ideas of the program in our lives.
We’re kinder. We’re more honest. We stand up for ourselves and for others who need our help. What if the whole world started working the Steps? What a wonderful world this would be!
Remember, the program tells us to look at our own behavior.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emotional Insecurity

The most common symptoms of emotional insecurity are worry, anger, self-pity, and depression. These stem from causes which sometimes seem to be within us, and at other times to come from without. To take inventory in this respect we ought to consider carefully all personal relationships which bring continuous or recurring trouble. It should be remembered that this kind of insecurity may arise in any area where instincts are threatened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"When we are forced to deal with people we dislike, a great learning opportunity is being put forth to us." ~ Madisyn Taylor

bluidkiti 12-29-2022 05:57 AM

December 29

Anxiety Prayer

Lord,
When I feel crushed by my own worries, Lift my mind and help me to see the truth.
When fear grips me tight and I feel I cannot move, Free my heart and help me to take things one step at a time.
When I can't express the turmoil inside, Calm me with Your quiet words of love.
I choose to trust in You, each day, each hour, each moment of my life.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Instead of pretending to be perfectionists, in A.A., we are content if we are making progress.

The main thing is to be growing. We realize that perfectionism is only a result of false pride and an excuse to save our faces. In A.A., we are willing to make mistakes and to stumble, provided we are always stumbling forward. We are not so interested in what we are as in what we are becoming. We are on the way, not at the goal. And we will be on the way as long as we live. No A.A. has ever "arrived." But we are getting better.

So ............

Am I still making progress?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self-respect

Many of us have struggled with our self-esteem. We believed if we felt better about ourselves we could change some of our behavior. But we found the reverse to be true. First our behavior changed, then our self-esteem improved.

Only after we stop doing things we don't respect can we hear and accept the goodwill of others around us. Then we see our value as men/women because we are upholding strong self-images by our actions. This is not easy to do. As we learn, we continue to say no to weak behaviors, and we are released to feel greater dignity.

Saying no to my negative behavior today will improve my self-respect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stability

My stability came out of trying to give, not out of demanding that I receive. Thus I think it can work out with emotional sobriety. If we examine every disturbance we have, we will find at the root of it some unhealthy dependency and its consequent unhealthy demand. Let us, with God's help, continually surrender these hobbling demands.

The Best of Bill Page 58

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“There are two types of people to watch in AA; those who make it, and those who don't.” -- Dr. Bob

bluidkiti 12-30-2022 06:12 AM

December 30

Prayer for Anxiety

Lord,
When I feel crushed by my own worries, Lift my mind and help me to see the truth.
When fear grips me tight and I feel I cannot move,
Free my heart and help me to take things one step at a time.
When I can't express the turmoil inside, Calm me with Your quiet words of love.
I choose to trust in You, each day, each hour, each moment of my life.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We have definitely left that dream world behind.

It was a world of our own making and it was not the real world. We are sorry for the past, yes, but we learned a lot from it. We can put it down to experience, as we see it now, because it has given us the knowledge necessary to face the world as it really is. We had to become alcoholics in order to find the A.A. program. We would not have got it any other way. In a way, it was worth it.

So ............

Do I look at my past as valuable experience?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Releasing the Past

A 12 Step program should give us a new way of life, our friends often say. We should have new attitudes, new experiences, new opportunities.
If we're to grasp this new way of life, we must let go of the old habits of the past. No alcoholic can recover, for example, by choosing to remain in the old drinking environment. We must also "recover" from other relationships and patterns that were destructive or kept us from our highest good.
"Behold, I make all things new," is the ancient promise. As our thoughts and beliefs change, the old patterns drop away and the new life reveals itself to us.
Today I'll drop the negative or outworn relics from the past and press on to find the things that are for my greatest good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Faith

We finally saw that faith in some kind of God was a part of our make-up. Sometimes we had to search persistently, but He was there. He was as much a fact as we were. We found the Great Reality deep down within us.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 55

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Alcoholism does more havoc than three historical scourges together; famine, plague and war." ~ William Gladstone, 1809-1898 (British Statesman & Prime Minister)

bluidkiti 12-31-2022 02:24 AM

December 31

New Year's Eve Prayer

May all my family and friends who need a New Year miracle be blessed.
May whoever has had a bad year face this New Year with hope in their heart.
May all those who have had heavy burdens this year have their load lightened
and the opportunity to enjoy the New Year, and may this person reading this prayer
have a happy and prosperous New Year.
Amen & Amen

~ Unknown Author

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

In spite of all we have learned in A.A., our old way of thinking comes back on us, sometimes with overwhelming force, and occasionally some of us have slips.

We forget or refuse to call on our Higher Power for help. We seem to deliberately make our minds blank so far as A.A. training goes, and we take a drink. We eventually get drunk. We are temporarily right back where we started. Those who have had slips say unanimously that they were no fun. They say A.A. had taken all the pleasure out of drinking. They knew they were doing the wrong thing. The old mental conflict was back in full force. They were disgusted with themselves.

So ............

Am I convinced that I can never get anything more out of drinking?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Difficult People

Few things can make us feel crazier than expecting something from someone who has nothing to give. Or trying to make a person someone he or she isn't. We may have spent years negotiating with reality concerning particular people; We have spent years trying to get someone to love us in a certain way, when that person cannot or will not. It is time to let it go. We deal with our feelings and walk away from the destructive system.

I will work at detaching in love from troublesome people in my life. This is the heart of detaching in love. I will strive to accept reality in my relationships. I will give myself permission to take care of myself in my relationships, with emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual freedom for both people as my goal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This Precious Gift

None of us can ever fathom the glories and the uncharted regions of the universe. But we can live on earth and love one another. We can let in the beginnings of concern, compassion, consideration, and watch ourselves grow. With the tools and guideposts of Alcoholics Anonymous, we can learn a little of this precious gift -- our gateway to human spirituality.

Came To Believe Page 120

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Until you make peace with who you are, you will never be content with what you have." ~ Doris Mortman