Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Recovery Topics and Questions

Share This Forum!  

Recovery Topics and Questions Post all recovery related topics and questions that you have here for discussion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2015, 11:49 PM   #20
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
"If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles" (Matthew 5:41).

As followers of Christ, we are called to a life of joyful obedience. We are called to love others as we love ourselves. We are called to serve one another without complaint. We are called - not to keep an account of wrongs against us - but to forgive and "go the extra mile," even for those we consider enemies.

An Excerpt from The Second Mile
by Paula Fox

What is the Second Mile?

We often hear the phrase "going the Second Mile" in our modern conversation, but it actually has its roots in first-century Palestine.

During Bible times, the Romans had conquered much of the known world and ruled with an iron hand. By Roman law, a Roman soldier could compel a subject of one of the conquered lands to carry his backpack, or "load," for him one mile, but only one mile. The Israelites resented the oppressive rule of the Roman occupation and would obey the law by going one mile, but not one step more.

The Basic Law

The Hebrew people also followed many religious laws that were based on the Ten Commandments and other instructions the Lord had given them. To these laws, they added many of their own cultural rules and rituals. The most pious religious leaders lived according to the full letter of the law and were highly critical of those who did not. They did exactly what was mandated by law . . . going the First Mile. What they failed to understand was the underlying spirit of the law . . . the Second Mile.

When Jesus spoke to His followers in the Sermon on the Mount, He said to them, "If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles" (Matthew 5:41 NIV). He was using an illustration that was familiar to the people of His time. They were very aware of the Roman law requiring them to go one mile, and they resented it deeply. His suggestion that they should not only obey the law, but go even further and do it cheerfully, must have been met with shock and resistance. The Romans certainly did not deserve it!

The Higher Law

The Second Mile represents a much higher law - the law of kindness, generosity and love. Following the Lord means following His ways, which are much different than our own. He said, "My thoughts and my ways are not like yours. Just as the heavens are higher than the earth, my thoughts and my ways are higher than yours" (Isaiah 55:8-9 CEV).

Going the Second Mile means living above the norm, treating people with kindness and respect regardless of what they deserve. It is not enough to simply do what is required. In order to find joy and victory in our lives, we must give generously of ourselves beyond what is expected of us.

From Inspired Faith
Are you willing to go the second mile?

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply