View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 04:04 AM   #14
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thursday, May 14, 2015
You are reading from the book Food for Thought

Abstinence Plus

Most of us find it impossible to maintain our abstinence and our weight loss if we do not continue to grow spiritually and emotionally. The Steps are not something we take once and for all and then put aside. We continue to work on ourselves.

It is possible to reach and maintain a weight goal, but the emotional and spiritual goals of the program are never fully attained. We keep striving for progress, in spite of temporary setbacks.

All of us need something to live for, something that captures our imagination and beckons us on to greater efforts. Achievement in the areas of study and work, commitments to family and community, development of talents and interests--all serve as motivation. Usually, though, we require something more to keep us going. When we become aware of the Spirit, which is constantly available to us through contact with our Higher Power, we are tuned in to the source of our abstinence and of our life.

May I remember to live by the Spirit.
Like this, recovery isn't just about food and not eating. It is about patience and tolerance and practicing the principles of the program in our daily lives. As I was making this post, I was thinking how things change from site to site, circumstance to circumstance, how I have to reformat to make one thing fit the other. I have to copy and paste, then I have to edit, change the spacing because it is different and often the type. That is life, one shoe doesn't fit all. We have to adjust, life doesn't stay the same as much as we would like it to, it takes change and we have to change with it.

I had to change those old unhealthy thoughts and behaviours that I thought had served me well for many years, only to find that they no longer worked in today, that they had run their course, and even those from early recovery, needed new growth and adjustment. It didn't mean what was was wrong. It didn't mean what is is right or wrong, but often in order to not stagnate, I have found over the years, that I needed to stretch my boundaries, and move on.

When it comes to food in today, I find I have to tempt my appetite. I didn't think I would get to a stage in my life that I would forget to eat or not want to eat. I have an eating disorder, it is the thinking behind the eating that is the problem, and that is what I have to take to my Higher Power.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing: