View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 02:24 AM   #22
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 22

Step by Step

Today: choices. The ones I make now can partly measure my progress in the program and the quality of my sobriety. As a drinking alcoholic, my choices were based on lies, fear, anger, loneliness, resentment and selfishness. As a recovering alcoholic, my choices should be rooted in truth, logic, without emotion and with a sense of the greater good instead of just mine. My choices then and now, while hopefully made from different perspectives, retain one constant: in the end, there are consequences of my choices and I alone am responsible to those consequences. Unlike then, however, now I can think to the consequences of my choices and, if I see those consequences to be too heavy, sobriety gives me the freedom to choose wisely. Drinking denied me that freedom; choices then almost always produced consequences that are even now too costly. Today, being sober, I have the freedom of choice, and I pray for the higher power’s wisdom that I make the right choices. And our common journey continues. Step by step. – Chris M.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

WHAT IF…

The lesson I must learn is simply that my control is limited to my own behavior and my own attitudes.

~ Anonymous ~

Many times we try to have knowledge of the will of God before we are ready. Every time we try to guess about tomorrow, we stop living today. All will be revealed to us in due time. The proper hour for an answer will come not a minute too soon nor a minute too late. The only moment we can affect is the present one. When we try to second-guess the future, we feel anxiety.

Thoughts on the future are always done with our worry cap pulled tightly over our ears. We can no longer hear the will of God revealed, because our ears are covered up.

When we play the “what if” game, we always lose. When we “what if” the future, we create fear and anxiety that runs deep. “What if” will tell us to go backward, to where we are secure and have experience.

I will have faith that God does not play games with me. I won't “what if” tomorrow.

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

It is our choices ...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

~ J. K. Rowling ~

Intelligence, talent, skill, achievement, and wealth are wonderful assets. But we all know people with these assets whom we don’t admire. The man we most admire is the one who plays a bad hand well. No matter how smart or limited a guy may be, how physically strong or weak, or how high or low his job is, what we admire most in a guy is how he deals with his circumstances.

Our task today is to make the choices that we respect most, rather than the choices that only serve our hungry egos. We can cultivate a generous, tolerant, self-respecting character by choosing attitudes and actions to express these traits. We can welcome newcomers, forgive those who have hurt us, include those who are different from us, and be generous to everyone. When we follow that path, we will have the pleasure of friendship and the rewards of self-fulfillment.

Today I will choose actions that express my best self.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

It’s a long trip to serenity. I better start right now.

~ Jill Clark ~

Serenity often comes easiest when the search for it has ended. “Letting go and letting God” works.

What’s so appealing about serenity? After all, most of us liked living on the edge before we got sober; thrill-seeking was a favorite pastime. We don’t have to renounce excitement to desire serenity. But that’s how it feels at first. It’s possible too that we may not recognize serenity on its first visit. Some even mistake it for boredom. But the ease of our lives, after we grow accustomed to it, makes serenity as sought-after as excitement used to be.

Serenity allows us to appreciate more fully every aspect of our journey. Each person we encounter, every situation that calls to us, gets far more of our attention when we are calm, quiet, and focused. Only with the gift of serenity can we be all three.

Being serene is worth the effort, when we let our Higher Power do the work of living.

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

I don't have to work a perfect program

I don't like the shame I feel for having a dual disorder. I want to recover as quickly as I can. At times I think I should be further along. And yet I will still forget a weekly therapy session, skip a meeting here and there, and get caught up in my old ways of coping. I've even had a slip with my addiction.

It's hard for me to accept my problems, but I need to gently remind myself that I experience two illnesses that affect each other. I am new in dual recovery and there is no timetable. It will help if I can go easy on myself when I don't live up to my own (or others') standards. I know that I am making progress, especially when I can admit that I will continue to make mistakes. *

When I do my Step Ten inventory tonight, I will take special note of my progress and pray to accept my weaknesses.

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

Look to your health, and if you have it, praise God, and value it next to a good conscience; for health is... a blessing that money cannot buy.

~ Izaak Walton ~

When holidays are coming, some of us rejoice, looking forward to the activity and preparation of the season. Others groan in despair, prepared for too much work and too little reward. And some of us begin to feel depressed; holidays mean sad memories and overstressed systems that will take weeks, maybe months, to return to normal.

During active addiction, we muddled through as best we could. We did not control events, they controlled us. We let ourselves get overtired and stressed out. We didn’t eat right or exercise. Instead, we medicated ourselves against the possibility of closeness with family.

Now we have the tools of recovery to help us take better care of ourselves. We can avoid or diminish holiday stress, planning our schedule more carefully, keeping some time for ourselves. When tasks pile up on us we can go to a meeting, call our sponsor, take a break in our hectic schedule. As we learn to have healthier holidays, we find ourselves beginning to feel the closeness to loved ones that we missed out on before. We have so much to celebrate now, and holidays are the best time to share our gratitude and serenity.

Today help me use my new life to make holidays a joyful time.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

Inside myself is a place where I live all alone, and that’s where I renew my springs that never dry up.

~ Pearl Buck ~

In this time of year in which busy schedules are the norm, and in the program of recovery where there is a vital need to communicate and be around others, you may find it hard to set aside time for quiet reflection. But there are many benefits to be gained by setting aside quiet time. Solitude is one of the healthiest ways to de-stress as well as to add balance to your life.

Solitude can lead to greater self-awareness and under-standing. By truly listening to yourself, you can discover what lies deep within you. By uncovering your fears, doubts, and insecurities, you can become less reluctant to deal with those feelings so you can take action that honors your comfort zone and your capabilities. Solitude also gives you the opportunity to more fully converse with your Higher Power and to listen to the guidance you are receiving.

Finally, solitude helps you appreciate the little things in life. Whether it is watching your children as they sleep, relaxing in a soothing bath, or taking a leisurely stroll with your pet, such things can help you notice and appreciate life in a different and more meaningful way.

I will set aside at least twenty minutes each day for peaceful

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

No answer is also an answer.

~ Danish proverb ~

Have we ever prayed and felt God must not have heard us because our prayers weren't answered? We may have asked for strength or protection or for things to change. Yet hours, days—even weeks—later we may still be in the same situation, feeling the same way.

God always hears us, but sometimes the answers aren't immediate or guaranteed. Sometimes the best answer is no answer, meaning we need to stay in an uncomfortable situation a little longer. Perhaps there is something we need to learn that can't be learned unless we find it on our own.

We aren't abandoned when our prayers are answered by silence. Silence teaches us to listen closer, observe longer, and learn more in order to find our answers.

Is there anything tonight that confuses me or makes me feel helpless? I can find my answers by remaining open to all the messages I'm given.

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Counting our blessings

We have passed from death into life. We know that a powerful life force flows through us and a new and beautiful serenity is ours. What we once despised, we now cherish. We cease to find the world of drugs attractive.

This is a blessing and a miracle, for at one point we were among those considered to be the hopeless ones. Let’s thank our Higher Power for our spiritual understanding and for the blessings of a clean and sober life.

Do I count my blessings each day?

Higher Power, I give thanks from the depths of my heart and soul for the blessing of my new life.

Today I will look at my blessings, one by one, and

God help me to stay clean and sober today!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

I don't want to make money. I just want to be wonderful.

~ MARILYN MONROE ~

Newcomer

I talked with someone about this program recently, and she surprised me by saying, "It costs money, doesn't it?" I explained that no one is required to pay anything, that we meet our expenses by passing a basket at meetings. I realized, talking to her, that the program's relationship to money is pretty unusual in this society. If we tried, we could be making a big profit, couldn't we?

Sponsor

Our tradition is opposed to profit-making. As you probably know by now, each individual group supports itself, paying for such expenses as rent, hospitality, and literature from whatever people give voluntarily when a basket is passed for contributions. Once a group meets its basic expenses, it may send a contribution to intergroup headquarters, to help meet administrative expenses. The program as a whole doesn't accept donations from outside sources, and individual groups are discouraged from keeping money in the treasury "beyond prudent reserves." This tradition helps keep us independent and safe from the risk of disagreement and competition that can arise where there are accumulations of money. It helps us to stay focused on our spiritual program.

Today, I take time to examine my attitudes and beliefs about money.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

Moderation is not an alcoholic's strong point. Few improve much after joining A A, they simply direct their energies to other activities but with the same amount of intemperance.

"Easy Does It" is a nice sounding slogan but seldom do we see any great display of it among the members. They usually jump into their jobs with increased enthusiasm or they find an out-let for their energies in AA work. It is probably for the best, however, for excessive activities are not as prone to make a man return to the bottle as too much inactivity.

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

God's Power to Guide Me

I arise today
Through a mighty strength:
God's power to guide me,
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to teach me,
God's eyes to watch me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to give me speech,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to shelter me,
God's host to secure me:
Against the snares of devils,
Against the seductions of vices,
Against the lusts of nature,
Against everyone who shall wish me ill,
Whether far or near, many or few.

~ by St. Patrick of Ireland ~

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

THE LAW OF LIMITATION

A young doctor and his wife were entertaining an elderly aunt. After-dinner coffee was served, whereupon the visitor said excitedly, "John, you know I cannot drink coffee! The nicotine in it keeps me awake all night."

The nephew said, "I assure you, my dear aunt, there is no nicotine in this coffee." The aunt replied, "There is always nicotine in coffee, and it keeps me awake the whole night." The host then said, "My dear aunt, I assure you upon my word of honor as a doctor, that there is no nicotine in this coffee."

The old lady, who had the highest regard both for her nephew's professional qualifications and for his personal integrity, was satisfied; and thereupon drank three large cups of coffee, enjoyed them immensely—and slept like a top all night.

Naturally, there can be no nicotine in coffee; the old lady meant caffeine. Of course, one does not approve of the deception employed—deception is never legitimate—but the story illustrates perfectly the power of good and bad suggestion. The old lady first made a law of limitation for herself, and then repealed it without any trouble. Why not start today and repeal some of the many such laws you are sure to have made for yourself.

If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth (Mark 9:23).

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

Don’t Even Try It

Let not the cloud sit upon your brow. Look up, laugh, love, talk big, keep the colors in your cheek and the fire in your eye.

~ William Hazlett ~

While reviewing the sales records of one of my early books, Joy Is My Compass, I saw that it was selling rather sluggishly. Perhaps, I thought, it’s time to let it go out of print. A short time later, I was presenting a lecture when a woman in the audience rose and stated, “I just want to thank you for writing Joy Is My Compass. That book inspired me so much that I decided to follow my bliss and I founded an AIDS hospice. Thanks to your influence, a significant number of people with AIDS are dying with dignity in the presence of love and compassion.”

I was stunned. While I had judged the value of the book based on sales, this woman was applying its principles to render a high and holy service. I recognized that even if no one else ever read the book, it would have been worth writing and publishing for that one purpose.

At times, I have felt guilty for not being out on the front lines of relieving human suffering. “While people are ministering to dying paupers on the streets of Calcutta, feeding hungry children in Africa, and changing the bandages of lepers on Molokai, I’m just writing books,” I berated myself. But of late, I have come to peace with the understanding that I am in my perfect position to serve best. If I were to be a missionary, Spirit would put the inspiration in my heart to do so. Instead, words come to me that inspire others to do what they do best.

Know that God is using you in the highest way by instilling you with joy to do what you love best.

I will not attempt to judge against Your will of joy for me. I surrender to what I love, trusting that You are serving through me.

I follow my heart and trust God to run the universe.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: