View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 01:19 AM   #4
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Friday, July 4, 2014

You are reading from the book Food for Thought

Holidays

Holidays come and holidays go. Our choice remains the same: to abstain or to overeat.

Most holidays are associated with an overabundance of special food. Those who are not compulsive overeaters may be able to indulge for a day. We cannot. For us, one day's indulgence is usually the start of a downward skid into loss of control and the despair, which follows. What kind of a celebration is it if we end up back in the trap of compulsive overeating?

Every day we may celebrate our freedom by abstaining. When holidays come, we enjoy them more by abstaining than we ever did by indulging. We are free from guilt and remorse and the terrible panic that seizes us when we lose control. We are free to think about the deeper significance of the holiday-whatever the celebration, it is more than a reason to eat and drink.

When abstinence remains the most important part of our life, no matter what day it is, then every day is a celebration and holidays are blessings instead of disasters.

Lord, may I celebrate this day and every day by abstaining.
I was told to remember that holiday are just another 24 hours. I can celebrate without picking up a drug. If I am not happy in recovery, what am I doing wrong that I look outside of myself for someone or some thing to make me happy.

The hunger isn't always physical. I found that when I share food with others, if I have enough for one, I have enough for two, I am filling up with spiritual things.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote