Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Forum (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Thoughts Just For Today (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150)

MajestyJo 11-10-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

LIVE LIFE FULLY

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/phone-24...flora/0033.gif

"Time is life. It is irreversible and irreplaceable. To waste your time is to waste your life, but to master your time is to master your life and make the most of it."
-- Alan Lakein

Refuse to feel USED by life! Make full use of it instead.

To do this, we initially need to take control of the time of our lives. Time management is life management, from the inside out. It's an INSIDE job. You already have everything you need. You have the power to create a life of meaning, fulfillment and joy.

Your challenge is to find what works for you! Review the literature but make your own decisions. To do this, you'll need to:

Get to know yourself -- your desires and passions, rhythms, styles, challenges, needs and habits.

Be aware that you always have choice. Claim your independence and power to choose what is right for your life, moment by moment.

"Until you value yourself, you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it."
-- M. Scott Peck

MajestyJo 11-10-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

MAKING LIFE OUR OWN

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/phone-24...flora/0077.gif

"Life is not lost by dying;a life is lost minute by minute, day by dragging day, in all the thousand small uncaring ways."
-- Stephen Vincent Benet

What's needed for a new relationship with time and life?

Intention -- Get really clear about what you want.

Desire -- How much do you want something new for yourself? Know your motivation. Desire brings the energy for change.

Belief and/or willingness to trust you can have what you want. If belief is lacking, can you believe in the possibility that you can find a new way of living?

Perseverance, discipline -- It takes time and effort to change attitudes and habits. We can't expect a new life overnight.

Acceptance, both of what's happening now and of who we are. Until we honestly and openly accept our present situation, we cannot change it.

A willingness to try something new.

"It is so easy to waste our lives: our days, our hours, our minutes. ... It is so easy to exist instead of live. Unless you know there is a clock ticking. So many of us changed our lives when we heard a biological clock and decided to have kids. But that sound is a murmur compared to the tolling of mortality."
-- Anna Quindlen

MajestyJo 11-10-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

GROWING OURSELVES

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/phone-24...flora/0092.gif

"The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

We are all on a life-long journey. It is a search for who we are and why we are here. It is a journey that expands our consciousness.

There is an urge within each of us to move forward in life. It is an urge to become more whole, to find more meaning, and eventually to help others. It is human nature to strive for a sense of well-being.

We all go through the same growth cycles, though our experiences may appear entirely different. By understanding the process of personal and spiritual growth, we can work more effectively with the process, instead of fighting and resisting it.

"We can learn to be the catalysts for our own change."
-- Sarah Ban Breathnach

MajestyJo 11-10-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

CHANGING CONSCIOUSNESS

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/phone-24...flora/0091.gif

Why should we care about raising our consciousness? When we set an intention to change and grow, we begin a journey in which we move from coping, to learning and finally, to the enjoyment of living.

Here are some of the shifts we move through:

From dependence on the clock, to charting a direction, to moment-to-moment guidance from intuition.

From doing things right, to doing the right things, to being your true self.

From lack of self discipline to having personal willpower to being completely willing to express our essence.

From being out of control, to being in control, to trusting and letting go of the need to control.

With each step, we experience greater freedom, fulfillment and joy. Worth going for, don't you think?

"Every human has four endowments - self awareness, conscience, independent will and creative imagination. These give us the ultimate human freedom... The power to choose, to respond, to change."
-- Stephen R. Covey

*** Awareness is the key to all change. Begin to trust yourself more deeply as you uncover new dimensions of who you are.

MajestyJo 11-10-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

GOING FOR GUILT-FREE PLAY

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/phone-24...flora/0043.gif

"There is no pleasure in having nothing to do. The fun is in having lots to do and not doing it."
-- Mary Little

When you're tempted with a promise of pleasure, does guilt promptly spoil it for you?

For many of us, the work ethic still rules supreme. It keeps our life out of balance and our health at risk. There will always be lots of work to do. We can't wait for it to go away to enjoy ourselves.

Today, we invite you to become aware of your attitude towards rest, relaxation, pleasure and fun. When you give yourself a break, do you carry guilt through it? Deep down, do you believe that you don't deserve to have a good time, that you haven't earned a holiday? If you do discover these thoughts, send them packing.

"Guilt is the source of sorrows, the avenging fiend that follows us behind with whips and stings."
-- Nicholas Rowe

*** Step by step, progressively learn basic meditation methods to relax, concentrate, focus, reflect, contemplate and illuminate.

MajestyJo 11-10-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

AWARENESS THROUGH LOVE AND FEAR

"There is nothing holier in this life of ours than the first consciousness of love -- the first fluttering of its silken wings -- the first rising sound and breath of that wind which is so soon to sweep through the soul, to purify or to destroy."
-- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Our inner journey takes us through the following stages relative to love and fear:

UNCONSCIOUS LOVE: When we are born, we exist as pure love but we are not conscious of our love.
UNCONSCIOUS FEAR: Our souls have set the stage for our evolution. As we grow, unconscious fears arise in our personalities that draw experiences to us that wound us.
CONSCIOUS FEAR: Our wounds bring pain and suffering that enable us to become conscious of our fears.
CONSCIOUS LOVE: When we've suffered enough pain, we are motivated to move through our fears to consciously experience the love that supports all.
"Love is but the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition."
-- Alexander Smith

Our process is clear. First 'know yourself' - your personality and direction in life. Then 'create a plan'. Next 'heal yourself and what holds you back. Then you can expand and 'grow yourself'. Are you ready to commit to changing your life for the better?

MajestyJo 11-24-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Time passes.
Life happens.
Distance separates.
Children grow up.

Jobs come and go.
Love waxes and wanes.
Men don't do what they're supposed to do.

Hearts break.
Parents die.
Colleagues forget favors.
Careers end.

BUT.........

Sisters are there,
No matter how much time and how
Many miles are between you.
A girl friend is never farther away
Than needing her can reach.

When you have to walk that lonesome valley and you
Have to walk it by yourself, the women in your life
Will be on the valley's rim, cheering you on,
Praying for you, pulling for you, intervening on
Your behalf, and waiting with open arms at the
Valleys' end.

Sometimes, they will even break the rules and walk
Beside you...Or come in and carry you out.
Girlfriends, daughters, granddaughters,

Daughters-in-law, sisters, sisters-in-law, Mothers,
Grandmothers , aunties, nieces, cousins, and extended
Family, all bless our life!

The world wouldn't be the same without women, and
Neither would I. When we began this adventure called
Womanhood, we had no idea of the incredible joys or
Sorrows that lay ahead. Nor did we know how much we
Would need each other.
Every day, we need each other still.

Pass this on
To all the women who help make your life meaningful.
I just did.
Short and very sweet:
There are more than twenty angels in this world.
Ten are peacefully sleeping on clouds.
Nine are playing.
And one is reading her email at this moment.

Someone you love will surprise you.

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/ps-smili...iving/0008.gif

MajestyJo 11-26-2013 11:45 PM

My drug of choice is more....

More of what you are having, more of what I am having, and more of anything else that comes my way.

Anything that takes me out of self.

Anything that takes me out of the reality of the moment.

Anything that takes away the responsibility of coping with today.

Anything that takes away the feeling of being alone with me.

Anything that takes away my feelings,

Anything that is in front of me.

I am glad that the anything that is in front of me is the program of recovery and the Twelve Steps which allow me to walk this road clean and sober today.

http://www.angelwinks.net/images/angel226.jpg

MajestyJo 11-29-2013 07:15 PM

When I came into recovery, I was told "We don't do this forever. We do it one day at a time." When we project into tomorrow worrying about staying clean and sober, we lose out on today.

When I stay in today, I have one day's feelings, one day's thoughts, one day's denials, one day's events and situations.

If I look at the whole picture, I get overwhelmed. Some days it is simply staying in the moment. I had a sponsor who told me for her it was three seconds because she was prone to seizures.

For me it has been doing what ever it takes to stay clean and sober, just for today. I can't, God (group of drunks) can, and just for today I choose to let Him/Her show me the way to sobriety (soundness of mind).

Quote:

I was told that Christmas was just another 24 hours. I was told not to look at it and overwhelm myself but to treat it just like another day. It was really important to have a support network. Several times over the last few years I made a point of being at my home group on Christmas Day or any other holiday. At first it was for me, then I had to give back and was there for others, and then I found out it was for both of us!

I went from my family Christmas dinner to the Area Social Club. I felt more like using when I was with family. It was safer for me to be around recovery people. I was warned to watch my glass and not leave it unguarded. Friends may mean well but often they are in denial about their own disease and will sabotage you. I always smelled my drink before I tasted it to make sure I had picked up the right glass. I had to be aware of fruit cake, cookies and candy that had alcohol in them. I found that flavoured coffees were a big trigger. That was because I use to have a whiskey bottle sitting beside the coffee pot. I found that Vanilla was a big trigger, the smell and the taste.

Have a safe and sober holiday.
I think I posted this elsewhere but can`t remember where. Posted on another site in 2009

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/phone-240x320-snow/0053.gif

MajestyJo 12-07-2013 01:43 PM

Snow Flakes,the kind you don't have to shovel. We had snow flurries today.

Many hours were spent as a child cutting out paper snowflakes and pasting them to the windows to decorate for the holidays.

http://www.papersnowflakes.com/instructions

http://www.highhopes.com/snowflakes.html

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/ps-christmas-tree/0010.gif

This is the time of year when we think back to the very first Christmas, when the Three Wise Men; Gaspar, Balthazar and Herb, went to see the baby Jesus and, according to the Book of Matthew, "presented unto Him gifts; gold, frankincense, and myrrh."

These are simple words, but if we analyze them carefully, we discover an important, yet often overlooked, theological fact: There is no mention of wrapping paper.

If there had been wrapping paper, Matthew would have said so: "And lo, the gifts were inside 600 square cubits of paper. And the paper was festooned with pictures of Frosty the Snowman. And Joseph was going to throweth it away, but Mary saideth unto him, she saideth, 'Holdeth it!
That is nice paper! Saveth it for next year!' And Joseph did rolleth his eyeballs. "

But these words do not appear in the Bible, which means that the very first Christmas gifts were NOT wrapped. This is because the people giving those gifts had two important characteristics: 1. They were wise. 2. They were men.

Men are not big gift wrappers. Men do not understand the point of putting paper on a gift just so somebody else can tear it off. This is not just my opinion: This is a scientific fact based on a statistical survey of two guys I know.

One is Rob, who said the only time he ever wraps a gift is "if it's such a poor gift that I don't want to be there when the person opens it."

The other is Gene, who told me he does wrap gifts, but as a matter of principle never takes more than 15 seconds per gift. "No one ever had to wonder which presents daddy wrapped at Christmas," Gene said. "They were the ones that looked like enormous spitballs."

I also wrap gifts, but because of some defect in my motor skills, I can never completely wrap them. I can take a gift the size of a deck of cards and put it the exact center of a piece of wrapping paper the size of a regulation volleyball court, but when I am done folding and taping, you can still see a sector of the gift peeking out. (Sometimes I camouflage this sector with a marking pen.)

If I had been an ancient Egyptian in the field of mummies, the lower half of the Pharaoh's body would be covered only by Scotch tape.

On the other hand, if you give my wife a 12-inch square of wrapping paper, she can wrap a C-130 cargo plane. My wife, like many women, actually likes wrapping things. If she gives you a gift that requires batteries, she wraps the batteries separately, which to me is very close to being a symptom of mental illness. If it were possible, my wife would wrap each individual volt.

My point is that gift-wrapping is one of those skills like having babies that come more naturally to women than to men. That is why today I am presenting:
GIFT-WRAPPING TIPS FOR MEN:

* Whenever possible, buy gifts that are already wrapped. If, when the recipient opens the gift, neither one of you recognizes it, you can claim that it's myrrh.

* The editors of Woman's Day magazine recently ran an item on how to make your own wrapping paper by printing a design on it with an apple sliced in half horizontally and dipped in a mixture of food coloring and liquid starch. They must be smoking crack.

* If you're giving a hard-to-wrap gift, skip the wrapping paper! Just put it inside a bag and stick one of those little adhesive bows on it. This creates a festive visual effect that is sure to delight the lucky recipient on Christmas morning:

YOUR WIFE: Why is there a Hefty trash bag under the tree?
YOU: It's a gift! See? It has a bow!

YOUR WIFE (peering into the trash bag): It's a leaf blower.
YOU: Gas-powered! Five horsepower!

YOUR WIFE: I want a divorce.
YOU: I also got you some myrrh.

In conclusion, remember that the important thing is not what you give, or how you wrap it. The important thing, during this very special time of year, is that you save the receipt.

--Male Author Unknown (more likely, not among the living any longer)

P.S. Santa didn't wrap gifts either in the good old day. He just placed them under the tree. Ah, but that was Christmas Eve. In today's Walmart world, gifts start appearing under the tree as early as Thanksgiving.

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/ps-santa-2/0009.gif

MajestyJo 12-12-2013 12:48 AM

Found this post I made on another site in 2004.

The program says a God our Understanding. To cover all perception of members, it is suggest that you use the term "Higher Power."

I found it to be funny, but it put a perspective on how, we all come to believe, but we don't always believe the same thing.

Quote:

I went with my friend to a Mission Church on Sunday night and the pastor was reading from a booklet he found called the "Mysteries of the Bible."

They seemed to believe that all the miracles in the Bible were a result of UFOs!

They said that the Three Wise Men were probably following a signal from a UFO! I said to my friend, "Well we know that story is false, you know that it is impossible to find "three wise men" in one spot!"

Sorry, couldn't resist! Just about lost in the church, my sense of humour doesn't always have the best of timing.
http://www.animated-gifs.eu/christmas-houses/0037.gif

MajestyJo 01-16-2014 09:05 PM

If there is one thing in life that you can never lose beside yourself, it is the hope for a better day, because their will always be one. Just as there are bad times; there will come good times as well. And even though things may seem uncertain in the moment, and even though fear may be trying to cloud your mind, fill your mind with hopeful thoughts, and remember to keep stepping out on faith as well.

When you find yourself thinking negatively, stop yourself abruptly and think of things in your life that you have to be thankful for. Whether it be having a roof over your head, having a nice set of clothes, having good friends to be able to talk to you in your time of need, or the fact that you even have the freedom to pursue your dreams even when your plans aren't going as well as you have hoped, just be thankful, and keep hoping.

By J. Johnson

MajestyJo 01-20-2014 02:41 AM

To make the world a friendly place One must show it a friendly face.

-James Whitcomb Riley

We are beginning to learn that we get what we expect. Why? If we believe that people are out to get us, we'll not treat them well. We will think it's okay to "get them" before they "get us." Then, they'll be angry and want to get even. And on it goes. It's great when we can meet the world with a balance. We are now honest people. We can expect others to be fair with us. We get the faith, strength, and courage to do this because of our trust in our Higher Power.

Prayer for the Day
Higher Power, I put my life in Your care. Use me to spread Your love to others.

Action for the Day
Today, I'll spread friendliness. I will greet people with a smile.

- Keep It Simple May 7th

My sponsor told me that if I have recovery, it was my responsibility to show it. You may be the only Big Book someone may see. What kind of message are you carrying?

http://angelwinks.net/images/iq/qcangel436.jpg

MajestyJo 01-27-2014 01:40 AM

Quote:

Get Out Of Yourself

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/phone-24...girls/0228.gif

I've always been a runner trying to run away from life,
Running away from challenges, and any pain or strife.
I'd end up in a brand new town, but wouldn't be there long,
My problems would start up again, because I'd brought myself along.

I'd pack my bags and wander, always searching but never free,
Until one day I realized- the problem was with me.
After all those years of running, with alcohol and pain,
I'd finally hit my bottom, and I KNEW I was insane.

I began to go to meetings; my mind was in a daze,
It didn't really make much sense, but I listened anyway.
So I saved up mental scraps of advice, and put them on a shelf,
Until one day I pulled one out: It read," GET OUT OF YOURSELF"

I thought, "If I keep on thinking about me, I'm going to end up dead.
Maybe for once, what I'll try doing, is think of you instead!
They told me I had to give it away, it's better to give than receive.
You can't keep sobriety all for yourself, and so I began to believe.
So I joined a group and helped set up and stayed around late at the end,
And whenever a newcomer walked through the door, I just tried to be a friend.
This happened a number of years ago, and I hope that I'm here to stay.
And I keep on praying for the grace of God, so that SELF doesn't get in the way.
I'll always be grateful for the scrap of advice at the back of a
dusty shelf,
And I'll always remember what the Old Timer said:

"Ye must get out of yourself!"

Originally posted on my site "Get What You Need" then copied to The Five As.

Written by Lois Stargratte

MajestyJo 02-13-2014 03:34 AM

THE MASK I WEAR

Don't be fooled by me.
Don't be fooled by the face I wear
For I wear a mask. I wear a thousand masks-
masks that I'm afraid to take off
and none of them are me.
Pretending is an art that's second nature with me
but don't be fooled,
for God's sake, don't be fooled.
I give you the impression that I'm secure
That all is sunny and unruffled with me
within as well as without,
that confidence is my name
and coolness my game,
that the water's calm
and I'm in command,
and that I need no one.
But don't believe me. Please!

My surface may be smooth but my surface is my mask,
My ever-varying and ever-concealing mask.
Beneath lies no smugness, no complacence.
Beneath dwells the real me in confusion, in fear, in aloneness.
But I hide this.
I don't want anybody to know it.
I panic at the thought of my
weaknesses
and fear exposing them.
That's why I frantically create my masks
to hide behind.
They're nonchalant, sophisticated facades
to help me pretend,
To shield me from the glance that
knows.
But such a glance is precisely my salvation,
my only salvation,
and I know it.

That is, if it's followed by acceptance,
and if it's followed by love.
It's the only thing that can liberate me from myself
from my own self-built prison walls

I dislike hiding, honestly
I dislike the superficial game I'm playing,
the superficial phony game.
I'd really like to be genuine and me.
But I need your help, your hand to hold
Even though my masks would tell you otherwise
That glance from you is the only thing that assures me
of what I can't assure myself,
that I'm really worth something.

But I don't tell you this.
I don't dare.
I'm afraid to.
I'm afraid you'll think less of me, that you'll laugh
and your laugh would kill me.
I'm afraid that deep-down I'm nothing,
that I'm just no good
and you will see this and reject me.

So I play my game, my desperate, pretending game
With a facade of assurance without,
And a trembling child within.
So begins the parade of masks,

The glittering but empty parade of masks,
and my life becomes a front.
I idly chatter to you in suave tones of surface talk.
I tell you everything that's nothing
and nothing of what's everything,
of what's crying within me.
So when I'm going through my routine
do not be fooled by what I'm saying
Please listen carefully and try to hear
what I'm not saying
Hear what I'd like to say
but what I can not say.

It will not be easy for you,
long felt inadequacies make my defenses strong.
The nearer you approach me
the blinder I may strike back.
Despite what books say of men, I am irrational;
I fight against the very thing that I cry out for.
you wonder who I am
you shouldn't
for I am every man
and every woman
who wears a mask.
Don't be fooled by me.
At least not by the face I wear.

-----author unknown

http://www.angelwinks.net/images/icq...ipgoodwill.jpg