Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   We Do Recover (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431)

MajestyJo 04-30-2017 08:28 PM

"Freedom to change seems to come after acceptance of ourselves." NA Basic Text. p. 56

Fear and denial are the opposites of acceptance. None of us are perfect, even in our own eyes; all of us have certain traits that, given the chance, we would like to change. We sometimes become overwhelmed when contemplating how far short we fall of our ideals, so overwhelmed that we fear there's no chance of becoming the people we'd like to be. That's when our defence mechanism of denial kicks in, taking us to the opposite exreme: nothing about ourselves needs changing, we tell ourselves, so why worry? Neither extreme gives us the freedom to change.

Whether we are long-time NA members or new to recovery, the freedom to change is acquired by working the Twelve Steps. When we admit our powerlesness and the unmanageability of our lives, we counteract the lie that says we don't have to change. In coming to believe that a Power greater than we are can help us, we lose our fear that we are damaged beyond repair; we come to believe we can change. We turn ourselves over to the care of the God of our understanding and tap the strength we need to make a thorough, honest examination of ourselves. We admit to God, to ourselves, and to another human being what we've found. We accept the good and the bad in ourselves; with this acceptance, we become free to change.

Just for today: I want to change. By working the steps, I will counter fear and denial and find the acceptance need to change.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY:

For many years I looked at life through rose-coloured glasses. If I didn't see it, it wasn't there. I certainly wasn't willing to look at myself, so it was much easier to put the blinders on, and exist in life with tunnel vision. When I got jolted into reality, I had to ask myself, "Am I really that bad?" The answer was, "Yes! You are!" It was only then that I was able to reach out and ask for help. Before I quit smoking and had an honest desire to do so, I would say to my sponsor, friend and my aunt, "If you are going to pray for me, do so quietly, so I don't hear you; because when I hear, it just adds to my attitude, don't tell me, don't show me, don't say I can,t - WATCH ME!"

Recovery for me has been a change in attitude. Getting rid of the denial of who I was, what I had become, and being open to change.

I can't make the change until I can find the acceptance....

MajestyJo 04-30-2017 08:30 PM

"Our newly found faith serves as a firm foundation for courage in the future."

Basic Text, p. 93

This reminded my of how important it was to me to build a foundation of support on which to build on and see me through the rough times. I had sponsors, co-sponsors, spiritual advisors and counselors along with them members of the fellowship.

I had a belief in the Fellowship and well as the God who I came to believe in.

Someone recently said to me: "Don't forget the Power!"

What is your Source! What is your foundation! What works for you?

My journey has been one of personal enlightenment along the way. It comes from many sources and yet I believe it is one God who governs all.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/v...Today/0131.gif

MajestyJo 06-03-2017 12:40 AM

Quote:

Let go of blame

"My days of whining and complaining about others have come to an end. Nothing is easier than fault finding."

-- Og Mandino

We often expect other people to meet our needs. When they don’t give us what we want, we may feel anger, resentment and even revengeful. Rather than blaming others, we could choose to get in touch with our needs and then fill them ourselves.

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame."

-- Erica Jong

"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrong."

-- Charlotte Bronte

- Higher Awareness
Was just sharing with a member tonight of how we need to build a relationship with our God, our sponsor, and with ourselves, before we get into a relationship with another. How can we tell someone what we need, if we don't know ourselves.

I almost died from playing the blame game. I continued that game relationship after relationship, and the last guy got all the sins of those who had gone before him, because I didn't know how to grieve, forgive, and let go.

As the Al-Anon slogan says, "Let it begin with me." It isn't about the other person, it is about me and living clean and sober myself.

I can hide and not look at my own program, if I hide in others. It is good to do service, but I need to top myself up each day. I can't give away what I don't have.

http://angelwinks.ca/images/generalp...ralpod1109.jpg

MajestyJo 06-06-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

We need to accept we are incomplete and imperfect human beings. Recovery will come, not from shame, but from honestly accepting our powerlessness and the help we need.
This is a quote from an old post made four years ago on relapse.

It is amazing how a light can go on when you read or hear someone else's wisdom. They just seem to put into words what I am thinking or trying to say but in words that are clear and bring a new spiritual awareness.

Relapse happens with the thinking long before I pick up a substance that takes me out of the reality of today. Thankfully for me it hasn't been a drug or a drink, and yet I can pick up things that lead to that same old soul sickness and way of thinking.

I can't give away what I don't have. I can't share on recovery if I am still not recovering. What I did 25 years ago, 8 months ago or even 16 days ago, won't keep me sober (soundness of mind) in today.

Today I don't feel shame in who I am. There are days I feel shame for others but that is none of my business and is something I have to detach from.

How many times I have thought "I am embarrassed for them!"

"If they could only see themselves, would they continue...."

I am powerless and when I don't accept that my life becomes unmanageable. When I think I am the power, my life becomes unmanageable; and it isn't until I surrender and get honest, that I can restore that manageability. When I surrender, I am empowered to help myself which brings me back to being God-centered instead of Self-centered.

MajestyJo 06-13-2017 11:59 PM

Quote:

Today, I will let go of my fears about trusting myself. I am willing to make decisions, no matter what the outcome may be.

The past does not dictate the future. Be willing to make
mistakes, and open to learning from them.
---------------------------------------------------------
Today, I am able to grow and change.

There are times when someone you love may not be growing and changing alongside you. You can still continue to progress,
no matter what others are not doing. To progress, we must continue, no matter what.
----------------------------------------------------------
Today, I will choose to be alive and to enjoy the everyday adventure of living.

It takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile, and you can't smile and frown at the same time. Try it in front of a mirror.
You'll see.

received from Inspiration Plus

This was received from a friend a long time ago and posted to one of my sites.

It reminds me that life is often about how I perceive myself and how willing I am to change. If I am caught up in negative thinking and think I there is nothing wrong with me or I think I am unworthy and undeserving of recovery, then I can't make a true attempt at the Steps to make the changes.

Realized this could go in either recovery section. It is important to look in the mirror, get honest, and take responsibility and take charge of my life.

Through trusting my Higher Power, I can learn to trust myself and know that I am not alone and if He brings me to it, He will see me through it.

Old post of mine posted in 2010 from another site.

Always believed in God, didn't think He believed in me, so didn't have a lot of trust that He would be on my side. Life didn't seem to be too heavenly, for the most part, it was a living h*ll. I didn't trust God, so how could I trust myself.

MajestyJo 06-14-2017 12:01 AM

Learned to trust my God by the little things in life. When I added them all up, they became big things. My God working in my life, doing for me what I couldn't do for myself.

Not all fears have gone, but over the years I have overcome a lot of them, like fear of storms, bridges, grates, saying the wrong thing and doing the wrong thing. I have had major healing within myself, so how can I not believe.

Catching my blessings one by one.

http://www.angelwinks.ca/images/snowglobes/kimmy9.gif

MajestyJo 06-26-2017 09:47 PM

Quote:

I like to look at the old posts. I can see the growth or the lapse in my thinking and allows me to take a good look at myself. It is nice to see that you still think the same today as when you originally posted. The talk coming from my fingers has not changed and has remained constant. I still have the pain, still working through it and not using.

Recover is progress, not perfection. The nice thing is, that even when I make a mistake, it is progress. It is a lesson learned.

If it wasn't progress, not perfection, I would have failed and left a long time ago. If the old me, Ms Perfection hadn't handed over her rains to God, I would not have gotten very far and would probably have given up and retreated.
Posted as Caressa in 2010

MajestyJo 06-26-2017 09:48 PM

Progress not perfection, doesn't mean I should be still accepting old ways after being in the program for so many years. I was one of the really sick ones, so I did have a lot of work to do. It does take daily maintenance though and that is where Steps 10, 11, & 12 come in. Practice these principles in all our affairs, the principles we learned doing the first 9 Steps.

Say progress not perfection, doesn't mean I have to do things perfectly, but what I do in today should be much better than when I came into recovery. I can beat myself up in falling short in my expectations let alone all the mistakes I have made to get to where I am in today.

Maybe my perception is off. It is a disease of perception. I try to make apoint of asking for it to be healed if I find it a little bit out of kilter.

The Swan means grace. But for the grace of God, I would not be here in today.

http://angelwinks.ca/images/gnpod/gnpod12.jpg

MajestyJo 07-05-2017 06:12 PM

Quote:

Each Day a New Beginning

One doesn't recognize in one's life the really important moments--not until it's too late. --Agatha Christie

Every moment is special and offers us an opportunity--to let an experience change us in an important way, to invite another person into our life, to nurture the growing, changing woman within. Life's events move so rapidly we seldom relish the moments individually, but each day teems with tiny gifts divinely designed for our well-being. The woman smiled at in the grocery store yesterday or the man acknowledged on the bus last week felt special. And we were softened, too, by our expression.

We change, and we change our world when we acknowledge one another's presence in it. The wonderful reality is that we are in another's world because of the special qualities we each have and are able to share with one another.

For many of us, in times past, no moment felt important. The days were simply long and painful. But now, we can relish even the past pain for what it taught us. We know now that we can look to this day before us with expectation. We can be conscious of every moment, thankful for every experience and every person we encounter.

In this inner game of life, I share the court, and I will have my turn to serve. To really live, I must participate fully.
Like this, I think of the word we use to see a lot of a few years ago, "participaction." I have to taken an active part in my life. I can't just sit there and let the world pass me by.

http://www.angelwinks.ca/images/snow...bwithart38.gif

MajestyJo 07-15-2017 06:39 AM

Quote:

Trust the Process of Growth

Be patient with yourself. It takes time to work out issues, to work through things. It takes time to learn lessons. The more important the lesson, the longer the cycle to work it out and work it through.

We may live in a technical age, but our souls aren't technical. They're still connected to nature. We grow and change as nature does. Learn her ways. Study her seasons and cycles, and know those same seasons and cycles are in each of us. The process of change is like planting a seed and watching it grow and bloom into a flower.

What are you trying to develop? A project? A change in yourself? Is there something new you're learning, trying to do? Are you trying to adjust to a major change in your life? Is there an old habit you're struggling to let go of? A love relationship or friendship you're hoping to begin or attempting to end?

Each stage of the process of growth and change is important. From those first moments when we see the idea, or the change begins, to those long moments of nurturing and nourishing the idea, each stage counts. Is there a change in your life that's begun, one you've started to notice? Are you thinking about it a lot, talking about it a lot, but not quite ready to take action? That stage is important too. You're nurturing and nourishing the seeds of change.

It takes time for nature to change things into what they're becoming. It takes time for things to develop. Be patient with yourself and life. Trust the process of growth.

- Journey to the Heart
This reminds me I didn't get this way overnight, even in recovery, never mind before recovery, so I can't expect to heal and get better overnight. This is not a quick fix program. It is a one day at a time program. Just because I worked on something before, doesn't mean it can't come back again, and I have to work on it again. It might not be the same, hopefully we will have grown enough to have new enlightenment.

MajestyJo 07-15-2017 06:42 AM

Quote:

It was really important for me to trust the process. To know that things happen when they should. When I am ready, the teacher will appear, if I am open and willing to change.

As it says in the reading, that it doesn't happen over night. We didn't get this way overnight. We have a lot of fears and phobia to overcome. A lot of mixed messages to identify and accept or reject according to the person we want to be in today.

Trust that through my Higher Power I will know what is good for me. If I turn my day over, then I will get the Good Orderly Direction that I need daily. Divine Orderly Good will be there if I am willing to acknowledge it and apply it to my life.

Through trusting a Higher Power, I can learn to trust myself. To hear those Messages and know what is my God's will for me.

When I think of an abrasion on my body, I know that it has to heal inside and out. It has many layers, and often when it scabs over, I think it is okay and yet, if I were to take off the scab, I would recognize raw skin underneath. The same with us, many things have underlying issues that we need to deal with. It is seldom one thing, often compunded interest from something that goes way back, which we only recognize in today.

One day at a time, life doesn't get better, I do.
Something I posted on another site in 2011.

http://angelwinks.ca/images/iq/qckitten268.jpg

MajestyJo 08-07-2017 11:34 PM

There is a hymn that says, "Without Him, I can do nothing." That is so true in my life. Some days I don't do nothing, and I know He is saying, "That is OK."

Elvis Presley Lyrics
"Without Him"

Without Him I could do nothing
Without Him I'd surely fail
Without Him I would be drifting
Like a ship without a sail

Without Him I would be dying
Without Him I'd be enslaved
Without Him life would be worthless
But with Jesus thank God I'm saved

Oh Jesus, oh Jesus
Do you know Him today
Please don't turn Him away
Oh Jesus, my Jesus
Without Him how lost I would be
Without Him how lost I would be.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8173/8...b71f2982_z.jpg

MajestyJo 08-10-2017 04:02 PM

Quote:

"We Are In This Together "

I did not know what I would find here, but surely it had to he better than the ugly mess that had become my life. What I have found here (and what has found me), is a spiritual connection, a new purpose in life, a safe haven where I may come and be spiritually recharged. From these rooms have come the sponsors who unselfishly gave of their time and shared their experience, strength, and hope, and guided me through the indispensable Twelve Steps of this spiritual path. They did not judge me as I bared my soul to them and stumbled through the highs and lows and self-pity-run riot of the early days of my sobriety. Then I learned to impart these miracle-making principles to others, and so I became a fellow of Alcoholics Anonymous. I learned to love all alcoholics and Alcoholics Anonymous and to desire that AA be forever available to all who need and want it.

---from Stan C. in AA Grapevine, January 2004, pages 12-13

AA Grapevine
When I got to the doors of AA, I felt like I had finally found a place that I could call home, even though I didn't think I qualified. I thought if I told them I was an alcoholic, they would let me stay and I could find out what it was they had, and I could get a little bit of what they had for myself.

I brought the body, and the mind followed. I knew I was an addict, but don't put that alcoholic label on me. In today, I know I didn't have a drinking problem, I had a thinking problem. I used alcohol like I used everything else. It doesn't what you call me, I can't use safely, no matter what substance I pick up.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...5YV5uRArtAbmRl

The skunk means respect. How little we respected ourselves. Respect has to be earned. It took a while.

MajestyJo 08-10-2017 04:03 PM

I know that when I make it to a meeting, I will always feel better afterward, no matter how yucky I felt before I went there. Meetings helpp in more ways than one. You will be surprised what you hear. Sometimes words that are echoing around in your own head.

I know that I will be recharged spiritually.

http://angelwinks.ca/images/generalp...ralpod1177.jpg

MajestyJo 08-12-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

No one has completed his education who has not learned to live with an insoluble problem.

~ Edmund J. Kiefer ~

Facing, for the first time, a stone wall that we cannot change can be quite a shock. It’s a huge emotional challenge that changes us from boys to men. Some people first meet their insoluble problem in the form of the death of a loved one, others through a child with an incurable handicap, and others by way of a chronic illness or an addiction. Whatever form a man’s stone wall takes, he naturally responds first with a refusal to accept it and a search for a way around it. But when he ultimately learns to accept reality, he changes in a profound way. He has stepped into the world of adults.

We used to feel that our addiction and codependency were burdens, tragedies that we had to carry. But there is a bright side to the dark stories of our past: when we got honest about our powerlessness, we became real men.

Today I accept my powerlessness once again and feel grateful for the wisdom it has taught me.
It is important for me to remember that I am as powerless over my son's addiction as I am over my own. It is only when I surrender that I am empowered to do what I need to do on a daily basis for my recovery.

MajestyJo 08-12-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

Laughter, like a drenching rain, settles the dust, cleans and brightens the world around us, and changes our whole perspective.

~ Jan Pishok ~

Laughter’s power is awesome. Some might say miraculous. We all know the effects of laughter, liven in the midst of frustrating circumstances, nothing seems as bleak or hopeless after being observed through the twinkling eyes of laughter.

How is it that our perspective changes after a moment or two of laughter? Does laughing shake loose the cobwebs that clutch the grim realities? All we know for certain is that nothing appears quite the same after we’ve loosened our hold on life’s dark explanations.

Laughter refreshes us. We can’t change the people we love, we can’t determine outcomes, we can’t control how God works in our lives. But we can laugh. And laughing about our experiences gives us the chance to accept them and make them work to our advantage.

Nothing is quite as serious as I make it today. Lightening up and laughing a little makes every minute easier.
It is hard to laugh when we are caught up in the chaos in our lives. Detaching from it and not taking it on or just decide to take a time out to enjoy life and put trouble on a back burner for a short time, to take time for yourself. I was told by a friend on FB to lighten up. ;)

MajestyJo 08-23-2017 01:31 AM

Quote:

Journey to the Heart

Heal Your Resentments

How fast resentments creep in during the course of an ordinary year. How much faster they can creep in during intense times, times of change, times of evolution-- the kind of times we've been experiencing on our journey.

Things shift. Things change. We let go of the old and stumble toward the new. And resentments crop up along the way. People become angry with us for changing, we become angry with them because we believe their experiences have unjustly impacted us.

Resentments are tricky little things, devious little devils of energy that block and damage our souls and hearts. They tell us they're justified. They tell us we need them to protect ourselves. They tell us we should have adopted them a long time ago. They tell us we're not safe if we release them, if we send them packing.

Those are lies, illusions that keep us blocked, stuck, and often quite uncomfortable.

Go deeper into yourself. What do you feel underneath the resentment? Betrayed? Hurt? Ashamed? Embarrassed? Left out? Forgotten? Misunderstood? You're safe now. Go ahead and feel whatever you need to feel. Honor and recognize your gentler, softer side-- those other feelings that make you feel vulnerable, those more tender feelings hiding behind, underneath, or to the side of the resentment.

Feel and release your resentment. Feel the feelings underneath it,too. You'll become clear. The resentment will dissolve. And you'll return to love.
A good recovery reminder, resentments kill, they lead to relapse. To use is to die. We don't pray for others to heal them, we pray to change our thinking, to let go of our anger, and find that peaceful place within, that a resentment can invade.

MajestyJo 08-27-2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

Each Day a New Beginning

Acceptance is not submission; it is acknowledgment of the facts of a situation. Then deciding what you're going to do about it. --Kathleen Casey Theisen

Recovery offers us courage to make choices about the events of our lives. Passive compliance with whatever is occurring need no longer dominate our pattern of behavior. Powerlessly watching our lives go by was common for many of us, and our feelings of powerlessness escalated the more idle we were.

Today, action is called for, thoughtful action in response to the situations begging for our attention. Recovery's greatest gift is the courage to take action, to make decisions that will benefit us as well as the people who are close to us. Courage is the byproduct of our spiritual progress, courage to accept what we cannot change, believing that all will be well, courage to change in ourselves what we do have control over.

An exhilaration about life accompanies the taking of action. The spell that idleness casts over us is broken, and subsequent actions are even easier to take. Clearly, making a choice and acting on it is healthful. The program has given us the tools to do both.

Decisions will be called for today. I will be patient with myself, and thoughtful. I will listen closely to the guidance that comes from those around me.
Acceptance is not submission means much the same as my favorite saying in today, "Surrender doesn't mean giving up, it means giving over." Accepting what is, knowing it is subject to change.

MajestyJo 09-07-2017 08:53 PM

Quote:

Journey to the Heart

Heal Your Resentments

How fast resentments creep in during the course of an ordinary year. How much faster they can creep in during intense times, times of change, times of evolution-- the kind of times we've been experiencing on our journey.

Things shift. Things change. We let go of the old and stumble toward the new. And resentments crop up along the way. People become angry with us for changing, we become angry with them because we believe their experiences have unjustly impacted us.

Resentments are tricky little things, devious little devils of energy that block and damage our souls and hearts. They tell us they're justified. They tell us we need them to protect ourselves. They tell us we should have adopted them a long time ago. They tell us we're not safe if we release them, if we send them packing.

Those are lies, illusions that keep us blocked, stuck, and often quite uncomfortable.

Go deeper into yourself. What do you feel underneath the resentment? Betrayed? Hurt? Ashamed? Embarrassed? Left out? Forgotten? Misunderstood? You're safe now. Go ahead and feel whatever you need to feel. Honor and recognize your gentler, softer side-- those other feelings that make you feel vulnerable, those more tender feelings hiding behind, underneath, or to the side of the resentment.

Feel and release your resentment. Feel the feelings underneath it,too. You'll become clear. The resentment will dissolve. And you'll return to love.
A good recovery reminder, resentments kill, they lead to relapse. To use is to die. We don't pray for others to heal them, we pray to change our thinking, to let go of our anger, and find that peaceful place within, that a resentment can invade.

http://angelwinks.ca/images/animated...tedpod1158.gif

MajestyJo 09-10-2017 12:48 AM

Quote:

A Day At A Time

Reflection For The Day

I’ll begin today with prayer — prayer in my heart, prayer in my mind, and words of prayer on my lips. Through prayer, I’ll stay tuned to God today, reaching forward to become that to which I aspire. Prayer will redirect my mind, helping me rise in consciousness to the point where I realize that there’s no separation between God and me. As I let the power of God flow through me, all limitations will fall away. Do I know that nothing can overcome the power of God?

Today I Pray

Today may I offer to my Higher Power a constant prayer, not just a “once-in-the-morning-does-it” kind. May I think of my Higher Power at coffee breaks, lunch, tea time, during a quiet evening — and at all times in between. May my consciousness expand and erase the lines of separation, so that the Power is a part of me and I am a part of the Power.

Today I Will Remember

To live an all-day Prayer.
Like this concept. A prayer to last all day long. Maybe a blanket order, saying to God, "This is what I need, just in case You have forgotten." TeeHee! Doesn't sound like a lot of faith.

It is good to live in concordance to what we pray for, and yet they say, "Be careful what you pray for, you just might get it.

So glad this is a one day at a time program. Progress not perfection. A program of practice, practice, practice.

MajestyJo 09-16-2017 11:55 PM

Quote:

September 16

One Day At A Time

REDISCOVERY

“When you come right down to it,

the secret of having it all is loving it all.”

Dr. Joyce Brothers

In dealing with compulsive eating issues, we tend to lose ourselves to the darkness of low self-esteem and self-criticism. We are our own worst enemies and we don't know how to nurture ourselves. We don't like who we have become. We feel like failures to ourselves and to all of those around us.

In working through the program, we learn to surrender and to accept the things we cannot change. We gain wisdom and strength. As we learn to take care of ourselves, we begin to feel good. We become self-aware. We recognize our needs and work aggressively to make sure they are being fulfilled.

We realize that we can choose how to react to the things around us. We accept our true selves, we voice our opinions, and we make changes. We realize that people do accept us the way we are and we don't have to hide anymore. For the first time, we are able to re-discover our true identity.

One day at a time...

I learn something new about myself. I accept myself for who I am as I surrender myself to my Higher Power. I prioritize my needs and all of the responsibilities in my life. I find the courage to change the things I can, and I accept the things I cannot. I look in the mirror and, with each passing day in recovery, I like who I see.

~ Lori

Many times when we are hurting, we reach for other things, for me it was food. My eating disorder was generally ruled by my emotions. How often I felt like I was hitting back. I got so I didn't care about me, and thanks to the program, I was able to turn that around.

MajestyJo 09-26-2017 12:02 AM

Quote:

September 19

Daily Reflections

ACCEPTANCE

We admitted we couldn't lick alcohol with our own remaining resources, and so we accepted the further fact that dependence upon a Higher Power (if only our A.A. group) could do this hitherto impossible job. The moment we were able to accept

these facts fully, our release from the alcohol compulsion had begun.

AS BILL SEES IT, p. 109

Freedom came to me only with my acceptance that I could turn my will and my life over to the care of my Higher Power, whom I call God. Serenity seeped into the chaos of my life when I accepted that what I was going through was life, and that God would help me through my difficulties--and much more, as well. Since then He has helped me through all of my difficulties! When I accept situations as they are, not as I wish them to be, then I can begin to grow and have serenity and peace of mind.
Sobriety for me is soundness of mind. Until I have some form of acceptance, I stay stuck in my recovery, the program doesn`t work for me without it. Someone argued with me many years ago about acceptance not in the first 164 pages so it isn`t required to stay sober and I was misleading people. Not sure if the person was right or wrong, I just know for me that I not only need to accept my alcoholism, but I had to accept that I needed a program of recovery.

MajestyJo 10-14-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

Journey To The Heart
October 14
Clear Out the Clutter

Have you ever noticed how easy it is to accumulate possessions and clutter in your home, things you pick up along the way? Have you ever noticed how easy it is to begin accommodating this clutter, getting used to it, thinking of it as just part of your environment?

It can be that way with our emotions,too. No matter how hard we strive to stay clear, we pick up bits of clutter along the way.

It’s so easy to ignore deeply embedded emotions and their impact on our lives. Many of us have undercurrents of old emotional energy that have been with us for so long we don’t see them. We don’t see the anger, the fear, the sadness. We’ve lived with these feelings for so long they have become embedded in us, part of us. When one of these nudges us, we tuck it back in, pack it away, and go on about our lives. But the feelings stays with us until we consciously acknowledge and address it. It affects us and our lives until we heal it.

Find a way to heal those old feelings, perhaps journaling or writing your memoirs. Whatever technique you choose to begin this journey of deep healing, deep cleansing, take the time to become conscious of what you really feel. Observe yourself; listen closely to yourself. Is there an edge to your voice? Do you talk about a particular person or place with a high degree of emotional energy? Learn to become comfortable with the rhythm of allowing these emotions to surface. They aren’t that hard to find. When it’s time to heal them, they’ll present themselves.

Release your fear of facing what’s there. Tap into that deeper part of you. Acknowledge your emotional energy, and heal.

Start cleaning house. Each piece of emotional clutter you clear out will bring you closer to your soul.
This is why I have to work on my emotional sobriety (soundness of mind) daily.

MajestyJo 10-22-2017 11:37 PM

Quote:

October 22

One Day At A Time

Scars

“Dwelling on the negative

simply contributes to its power.”

Shirley MacLaine

I’ve lived most of my life filled with bitterness towards people, God and myself. My mind, soul, and body were consumed by hatred, self-pity, pain, hopelessness, and a complete sense of powerlessness. I focused my energy on reviewing my scars. I counted them, checked them, nurtured them, and flaunted them. They were proof of all the wrongs I’d endured. They were my source of energy. They were my identity. They were my badge of sorrow.

As I work my recovery, I am beginning to see everything from a new perspective. Gradually my head is lifted and my eyes are turned away from my once-beloved scars. The more I allow myself to accept that my powerlessness is not a prison of doom, the more I discover that it is my doorway to faith, surrender, and serenity.

My scars are still here. There is no magic potion to remove them. What is magical, however, is that I see them so differently. I find that I have a choice to make every day: I can cherish my scars as proof of the pain I have suffered, or I can be thankful for them as evidence of things I have survived. Scar tissue forms and creates a stronger, thicker skin in its place. I can either pick at it and make it bleed, or I can welcome the lessons and endurance it has built into my life.

One day at a time...

I will choose to see my scars as proof of the difficulties I have survived. I will choose to appreciate them as evidence that God has brought me through suffering and has used all things to strengthen my faith in Him, my hope for tomorrow, and my serenity for today.

~ Lisa
Have a friend who once said to me. I wish I could heal scars, but I can't. I said that is because they run deep, and are often rooted to emotions as well as the physical. The surface may seem small, but what lies underneath the scar can be a lot of pain and suffering, often compounded interest, especially if we tend to internalize things and not bring them out into the moment. We need to bring things out of the darkness into the light in order to heal.

MajestyJo 10-26-2017 10:49 PM

Quote:

October 26

One Day At A Time

Paths

“I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood and I --

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.”

Robert Frost

As a compulsive overeater, I longed to find a solution to my problems. Like so many of us, I tried all the heavily traveled roads ~ the endless means to lose weight and to alleviate my indulgent eating behaviors. But at the end -- and there was always an end -- of every new "method of weight loss" I returned to walking my old path of destructive compulsive overeating. I always went back to the old eating behaviors as well as the consequences of those behaviors. I had heard of OA but did not know anyone who belonged to its groups. It seemed like the whole world was on the latest fad diet -- diets that I could never continue for more than a few days or weeks.

Since joining The Recovery Group, I now walk a new path and have abandoned the old roads and the diet of the week. I have been on this road nearly a year now, and it is a wonderfully pleasant trek. I indeed believe "I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence." I have found an incredible amount of recovery spiritually, emotionally and physically. I am traveling on “the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference!”

One day at a time...

I will enjoy this road less taken...a path of acceptance and surrender. It is a path of spiritual, emotional and physical recovery!

~ Karen A.
My drug of choice is but a symptom of my disease. The problem is me. A drug is a drug.

MajestyJo 10-29-2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

One More Day

October 29

You may talk on all subjects save one, namely, your maladies.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

Casual conversations have an unspoken rule: never, never tell about our pain, our misery, our difficulties. Ironically, the stars of social gatherings are often the ones who have just suffered an accident or injury. We show interest and concern for new and obvious problems; we often ignore ongoing ones. A leg cast has glamor; a wheelchair has none.

We can understand this. Human nature finds adventure in broken bones or neck braces. It also finds reassurance because these injuries are temporary and the victim will be as good as new in a matter of weeks. Many people can’t identify with the permanence of chronic illness, but we can educate them about our social concerns without provoking pity.

My life becomes more balanced when I enjoy social activities as social — not medical — events.
This reminds me of a saying my mom had. "I am sick in bed with my feet hanging out the window." It certainly doesn't make sense, but does bring a smile. In today, I am sure that she had Fibromyalgia the same as I have, although it was diagnosed back then, over 60 years ago. It doesn't always get recognition in today.

http://angelwinks.ca/images/iq/qcangrywetcat1.jpg

MajestyJo 11-24-2017 09:58 PM

Quote:

One More Day

Rest is not a matter of doing absolutely nothing. Rest is Repair. Daniel W. Josselyn

Every once in a while the burdens of our lives get us down. We just can’t be optimistic all the time. It’s so important to know that we can let go of those burdens for a day or two; in fact, we owe it to ourselves.

Too many of us feel guilty if we succumb to our feelings of sadness, disgust, anger, or exhaustion. Why? Having a medical problem doesn’t make us any more or less exempt from the problems which face everybody else. There will be days when there seems to be no reason to get out of bed. That’s okay. We can take a mental health day by relaxing. We can pamper ourselves every once in a while to rejuvenate the physical and emotional strength needed to face our world.

I can simplify my life by giving myself this day for relaxing.
My sponsor called it a holiday. Shut off the phone, don't answer the door, and eat what you like to eat, do a meditation, and do what you like to do, be it a craft, hobbie, or watching your favorite shows on TV.

MajestyJo 11-24-2017 09:59 PM

Love the thought, "Rest is repair." We often need to take a time out to check on where we are at in our program. Often our program needs tweaking and adjusting in order to grow and change. I can't rest on my laurels. This is a one day at a time program. What I did yesterday, won't keep me sober in today. It gives me hope for a better tomorrow, if I continue to do the do things, in order to recover. Even if something is new and changed in recovery, it doesn't mean it is right for me in today. Life happens, and we change as we travel this recovery road.

http://angelwinks.ca/images/lovepod/lovepod14.gif

MajestyJo 11-27-2017 11:09 PM

Quote:

Each Day a New Beginning

November 27

Limited expectations yield only limited results. --Susan Laurson Willig

Schoolchildren perform according to the expectations their teachers have of them. Likewise, what we women achieve depends greatly on what we believe about ourselves, and too many of us have too little belief in ourselves. Perhaps we grew up in a negative household or had a non-supportive marriage. But we contributed, too, in our negative self-assessment. The good news is that it no longer needs to control us.

We can boost our own performance by lifting our own expectations, even in the absence of support from others. It may not be easy, but each of us is capable of changing a negative self-image to a positive one. It takes commitment to the program, a serious relationship with our higher power, and the development of positive, healthy relationships with others.

It's true, we can't control other people in our lives. And we can't absolutely control the outcome of any particular situation. But we can control our own attitudes. Interestingly, when we've begun tagging ourselves competent and capable, instead of inadequate, we find that other people and other situations become more to our liking, too.

I will be fair with myself. I can do what I need to do wherever I am today. Only I can hold myself down.
We limited our God by our narrow outlook on life and our tunnel vision.

MajestyJo 11-30-2017 06:56 PM

Quote:

Each Day a New Beginning

November 13

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. --Kathleen Casey Theisen

How awesome is our power, personally, to choose our attitudes and our responses to any situation, to every situation. We will feel only how we choose to feel, no matter the circumstance. Happiness is as free an option as sorrow.

Perceiving our challenges as opportunities for positive growth rather than stumbling blocks in our path to success is a choice readily available. What is inevitable--a matter over which we have no choice--is that difficult times, painful experiences will visit us. We can, however, greet them like welcome guests, celebrating their blessings on us and the personal growth they inspire.

No circumstance demands suffering. Every circumstance has a silver lining. In one instance you may choose to feel self-pity; in the next, gladness.

We do not always feel confident about our choices, even when we accept the responsibility for making them. How lucky for us that the program offers a solution! Prayer and meditation, guidance from our higher power, can help us make the right choice every time.

I will relish my freedom to choose, to feel, to act. I and only I can take it away.
Freedom of choice, what a wonderful gift. I can choose to be miserable, sit in my 'stuff' or I can choose to feel grateful for lessons learned and the experiences of recovery. When I turn things over to my HP, He will give me the strength and courage to walk through what ever comes my way. When I am mixed up about my feelings, I can call my sponsor, my spiritual advisor, my clergyman, my fellow fellowship members, and/or family.

http://www.angelwinks.ca/images/specchriscard16.jpg

MajestyJo 12-04-2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Keep It Simple

And to practice these principles in all our affairs. Third part of Step Twelve.

This is a statement about us. We are now people of values. These values reflect our spiritual growth. We know how to help others. We know how to admit our wrongs.

We know how to look at ourselves and change our defects. We know how to live an honest life.

Step Twelve tells us. "Go use these tools for better living. Go be all you can be. Enjoy life and live a life you can be proud of." Step Twelve also tells us about how to have loving relationships. By the time we complete Step Twelve, we make or regain many relationships. The most important one is with our Higher Power. As we grow in the program, we realize all our relationships are spiritual gifts.

Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, I now have one face instead of many masks. Help me be a person who will stand before You with pride, not shame.

Action for the Day: Today, I'll talk with a friend and talk about my new values. I will talk about how much my life has changed.
The person that was 26 years ago is no more. So grateful for the gifts of recovery. When someone comes to mind, I try to make an effort to connect with them. Sometimes, all I can do is say a prayer for them.

http://angelwinks.ca/images/faithpod/faithpod1.jpg

MajestyJo 12-09-2017 03:09 PM

Quote:

Walk In Dry Places

Fixing things that aren't broken

Self-acceptance.

At the beginning of our AA sobriety, we were reminded that we were not reformers. Yet we sometimes have a tendency to want to "reform" ourselves or others after we've established sobriety.

This can become a practice of "fixing things that aren't broken". We may not realize it, but many things in our lives and personalities were always all right, all along. In believing that we should be changed, we may be taking on the opinions of someone else. There might be no need for change at all.

We also may be trying to please people who disapproved of us. Perhaps we're trying to obtain the affection of a parent who always rejected us. But if we're already on a spiritual path and are living rightly, there's no need for change. We'd be trying to fix something that isn't broken.

I'll accept myself and others as we are today. We are not out to reform anyone, including ourselves.
Accepting ourselves is a long process. I will never forget the woman who told me, "God doesn't make no junk." Whenever I found myself beating myself up, her words would come to mind.

http://angelwinks.ca/images/thoughtp...ughtpod956.jpg

MajestyJo 12-14-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

More Language Of Letting Go

You’re not a survivor anymore

Many years ago, I asked a fellow therapist what the one thing was that hallmarked the unhappy state of being many of us have come to label as codependency.

It’s the Karpman Drama Triangle,” he said. “People rescue someone by doing something they don’t want to do, or it’s not their business to do. Then they get angry and persecute the person. Then they walk away, feeling like a victim. Again.”

A light when on in that moment. Like a gerbil on a wheel, I could see myself spinning around this triangle. I was regularly rescuing somebody, then getting angry, and ultimately feeling victimized by it all.

I was creating the pain and the drama in my life.

Over the years, I stopped rescuing alcoholics. Many of us have gotten off that painful wheel. We know we can’t control another person’s chemical dependency, depression, problems, or life. But we may have stepped off that wheel and gotten ourselves into another more subtle drama spin.

A friend recently cleaned our his entire house– closets, garage, drawers. He had to hire a truck to come and take everything away.

“I can’t believe everything I collected and hung onto,” he said. “Most of it was junk that I didn’t want in the first place. I guess that came from being poor and going without for so long. I convinced myself that if it was free or cheap, I’d better grab it and take it home.”

Many of us were survivors at one time. We either genuinely didn’t have a choice or convinced ourselves we didn’t. So we clung to whoever and whatever came along our path.

You may have survived what you went through, but you’re not a survivor anymore. There is no need to desperately cling to whatever comes along. You’re living now. You’re living fully and freely.

Choose what you want.

God, help me give myself permission to walk a path with heart.
This reminds me of the meditation I had a few years back that said, "Your female side is languishing. My masculine side is my survivor side. It was in the forefront and I was out of balance. I had to pray and ask for an attitude adjustment.

Many times I have had to give myself permission to do something, because it was a recovery need, not something that I was using to hide and detach from reality.

http://angelwinks.ca/iq/qckitten530.jpg

MajestyJo 12-28-2017 02:32 PM

Rent-A-Sponsor Rerun

Quote:

Are you tired of being told like it is?
Still looking for that easier, softer way?
Had enough of that same old time-tested direction?
No Reading! No Writing! No Deadlines!

STANDARD FEATURES INCLUDE:

*Listening to your sniveling without constant reference
to the Basic Text or Steps!
*Co-signing your excuses and rationalizations!
*Work only the Steps you want,
in the order you choose! 1,2,13...
*Learn the secret of giving it away
before you even have it!
*Why "walk the walk" when you
can just "talk the talk?"
*Remember, it's better to look good
than to feel good!
*Why save your ass at the cost
of losing your face?

FOURTH STEP WRITING SERVICE NOW AVAILABLE
YES, WE WILL WRITE YOUR INVENTORY FOR YOU
Yes, at Rent-A-Sponsor we know how
unique you are and we do understand!
HALF MEASURES ARE OUR SPECIALTY!

Call 1-900-O-POOR-ME or 1-900-POUR-ME-1
Call now and receive a free copy of
"Staying Clean on War Stories Alone"!
This may appear as a joke, yet in fact, it is too close to the truth.

In today, I don't need to call my sponsor that often. When we do connect, we have a good natter.

In early recovery, my sponsor let me go because I was so sick that because of her own health, she felt like she couldn't be there for me. She later took me back under her wing.

Without a sponsor, I don't think I would have stayed sober in early recovery. She was a lifeline. The top of a long list of people who were there for me. I had a strong network of support. The sad thing is that I have detached from a lot of them, for the most part, it is due to my health, and me not getting out to meetings.

At different times in my recovery, I have had an AA sponsor, a co-sponsor, and a spiritual adviser. Because I needed outside help, I had a NA sponsor and an Al-Anon sponsor. As a result of doing service, I also had a service sponsor, who later became an AA sponsor.

*Remember, it's better to look good than to feel good!
*Why save your ass at the cost of losing your face?

I can remember trying to feel good on the outside because I felt so badly in the inside.

A long-timer once said, "No sense in asking you, you are always feeling good." I thought I had done something wrong. I did feel good. Each day was a gift and my sponsor(s) were a part of that goodness.

Grateful for the sponsor I had over the years.

http://www.angelwinks.ca/images/chri...csnowman13.jpg

MajestyJo 01-04-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Journey To The Heart

January 4

Go with What You Know

The commercial on the radio sang to me as I drove across the Southern California desert. “Don’t just go with the flow. Go with what you know.”

Sometimes answers come from outside us. The universe is abundant in its supply of guidance for us. It can’t wait to share its signals, teachings, lessons, and words of wisdom. It is eager to give us guidance if we just watch, wait, and listen. Sometimes this guidance comes from people we know, other times from people we barely know. But even when this help comes from those we are closest to and love most, the answer must resonate with that place deep inside us. It must resonate with our core. It must ring true for us.

Listen to those around you. Listen to the guidance of the universe and all the voices it uses to speak to you. But always trust yourself. Trust your inner voice. Trust what you know, because ultimately your path will bring you back to that place. No matter what you do, if it’s not right for you, you will need to return to your center, your place of peace, and figure out the action that is right.

It’s good to go with the flow. But it’s better to go with what you know– what you know to be true for you. Trusting yourself is the ultimate lesson. It’s where all the guidance leads.
Really like this. Before recovery, I couldn't trust that inner voice, it was generally my disease talking and I was at dis-ease because I didn't know. In recovery, I learned to trust my Higher Self. As my sponsor said, "If you are doubting yourself, you are doubting your Higher Power if you have done Step Three, and made a decision to put your life into the Care of your God.

MajestyJo 01-16-2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

A Day At A Time

Reflection For The Day

When we first came to The Program, whether for ourselves or under pressure from others, some of us were all but sickened by the concept of “surrender.” To admit defeat flew in the face of our life-long beliefs. We thought of the immoral rallying cities of Churchill at Dunkirk, of FDR following the attack of Pearl Harbor. And so we secretly vowed at first, that the very idea of surrender was unthinkable. Here I truly come to believe that only through utter defeat am I able to take the first steps toward liberation and strength? Or do I still harbor reservations about the principle of “letting go and letting God…”?

Today I Pray

May I really believe that the complete surrender of my whole being to a Higher Power is the way to serenity. For I can be whole only in Him, who has the power to make me whole. May I do away with of any feelings of wanting to “hold out” and never admit defeat. May I unlearn the old adage which tells me that I must “never give up” and realize that such pridefullness could keep me from recovery.

Today I Will Remember

From Wholly His to Whole
How is that for a punch line. Pray for the willingness to be willing to do what ever it takes to be clean and sober and find sobriety (soundness of mind).

MajestyJo 02-24-2018 07:03 PM

Today, I will go forward with love and gratitude, even if I don't
feel like it.

When you step into love, you step out of fear. It's impossible
to be in both at the same time. Try it. See for yourself.
-------------------------------------------------------

Today, I will let go of my fears about trusting myself. I am
willing to make decisions, no matter what the outcome may be.

The past does not dictate the future. Be willing to make
mistakes, and open to learning from them.
------------------------------------------------------

Prayer, having faith that my God can overcome my fears.

Meditation, listening for the Good Orderly Direction that I need to live clean and sober.

My God doing for me, what I can't do for myself.

https://cdn.powerofpositivity.com/wp...r-healing1.jpg

MajestyJo 02-24-2018 07:05 PM

Quote:

Are you ready to explore how to BEFRIEND YOUR EMOTIONS?

Don Richard Riso and Russ Hudson have identified 9 BASIC FEARS that they believe shape our personalities. (Source: The Wisdom of the Enneagram)

1. Fear of being bad, corrupt, evil or defective
2. Fear of being unworthy of being loved
3. Fear or being worthless or without inherent value
4. Fear of being without identity or personal significance
5. Fear of being useless, incapable or incompetent
6. Fear of being without support or guidance
7. Fear of being deprived or trapped in pain
8. Fear of being harmed or controlled by others
9. Fear of loss of connection, of fragmentation.

EXERCISE: While we may feel each of these fears at one time or another, one or two of them will influence us more strongly than the others. Which of these 9 fears do you know or suspect to be your basic fear(s)? Write down examples or situations in which you experience these fears.

Once we've identified our basic fear (or a fear of anything), we can begin to move through it. It helps to know that fears always arise from A MISUNDERSTANDING OF WHO WE REALLY ARE. Our soul is fearless because it knows that nothing can threaten our true nature.

And so, when we're fearful, we can use our imagination to invite our soul to be present. When the courage, love and compassion of the soul can sit with our frightened personality, the experience of BRINGING THE HIGHER TO THE LOWER TRANSFORMS THE FEARS.

Both the fear and the love must come together for WHOLENESS. Affirming love while denying the fear will only give the unacknowledged fear more power in our subconscious. To resolve the fear, we must bring it consciously into the presence of a higher, more causal power.

"Every man has a coward and hero in his soul." -- Thomas Carlyle

John and Patrice Robson
www.higherawareness.com
My life was full of fear. It was really awesome to see them drop away and have them disappear, become manageable, and overcome by the trust I had in the program. I saw it working in others, and learn to trust that it could work for me too.

I was immobilized by my fears, isolated my soul until I could find a Power greater than myself to help me overcome them.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yFzx2F_D_Rs/mqdefault.jpg

MajestyJo 02-24-2018 07:29 PM

Quote:

Walk In Dry Places

Unexpected Disappointments____Acceptance.

As life unfolds, we sometimes get unexpected disappointments that seem undeserved -- the car breaks down, a business deal goes sour, or a close friend betrays us. As alcoholics, most of us don't handle such things too well. "Why me, Lord?" we often respond.

Our best approach is simply to view life as a mixture of bitter and sweet, knowing that we've been given real mastery over conditions. We cannot always be sure that a disappointment really is as bad as it seems to be, and sometimes it can become a step toward our good. As one alcoholic phrased it, "some of the worst things that have happened turned out to be the best."

It's good to face the day with optimism, with confidence, and even with some excitement about the opportunities ahead. If we're maintaining sober thinking, everything that happens today will be transformed into gains for tomorrow -- all our tomorrows. We're on a spiritual journey that goes far beyond anything we're doing here and now.

I won't expect to be disappointed today, but I'll know that nothing can really upset or disturb me without my permission.
Like this, it is about accepting what is in the moment, even if I don't like it. If I think of all the worst case scenarios, I attract them to me. What I put out is returned to me. If I think negative, I will get negative in return. If I think positive, then positive will be given to me.

Expectations can be real dampers on our parade. We tend to project them onto others as well as onto ourselves. When we or they don't measure up, we feel less than.

Like it says, we are on a Spiritual journey. We travel it one step at a time. Some days we need all 12.

I needed to learn to live the Traditions too.

http://bestanimations.com/Animals/Bi...-animation.gif

MajestyJo 03-02-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

You are reading from the book Each Day a New Beginning

For all the sadness of closure, there is a new and joyful unfolding in the process of becoming.
—Mary Casey

We must let go of people, places, memories, and move on to new experiences. The doors of the past must be closed before we can enter those that are opening to us today. However, no experience is gone forever. All of our experiences are threaded together, each one contributing to the events that claim our attention now.

Recovery has offered us a chance to be aware of our process of becoming. With each day, each experience, each new understanding, we are advancing along the path of personal growth. Let us remember that each of us has a particular path, like no other. Thus, our experiences are ours alone. We need not envy what comes to someone else.

Life is unfolding for us. The pain of the present may be necessary for the pleasure of tomorrow. We can accept the unfolding. Our inner selves have a goal; experiences of the past must be left in the past; experiences at hand will lead us to our destination today.

I am moving and changing and growing, at the right pace. The process can be trusted. What is right for me will come to me. I will let the joy of becoming warm me.
A good reminder, of that space between something ending and something new beginning, is called the state of being. Either the door hasn't been revealed yet or I haven't complete closed the door on the past and haven't cut off all times to something I need to let go of.

So often the pain we feel is a result of our own making, because we have problems letting go and stepping forward into something new. As I read earlier, I have to take a risk and take the next step forward. My God generally has greater plans than I ever thought possible.

http://angelwinks.ca/images/animated...tedpod1153.gif